In other news...

tkdguy

16 hours ago, Cancer said:

While you're doing the pokemon thing with the remaining marsupials, you might stop selling coal to China, as well.

Come on, China can use all the non-renewable fuels they want.  They're China.  

Sorry, the cynical-meter hit red again.

Yeah, this is not going to end well....

Oregon woman sues Mormon church for $10 million for revealing husband's child sex abuse

tl;dr version: Man confesses to his Bishop that he had inappropriate sexual contact with a minor. Church leader calls the police. Man is arrested, charged, and pleas out to 15 years in prison. Wife sues Church for "breach of fiduciary duty, negligence and interference with prospective economic advantage".

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Yeah, this is not going to end well....

Oregon woman sues Mormon church for $10 million for revealing husband's child sex abuse

tl;dr version: Man confesses to his Bishop that he had inappropriate sexual contact with a minor. Church leader calls the police. Man is arrested, charged, and pleas out to 15 years in prison. Wife sues Church for "breach of fiduciary duty, negligence and interference with prospective economic advantage".

Is there anything like the Catholic seal of the confessional in LDS?

Confessions are usually treated as confidential -- but clergy (who are unpaid volunteers) are also mandatory reporters. In addition, one of the Articles of Faith specifies obedience to civil law. The Bishop or panel in question were probably blindsided by an admission this monstrous, and it's reasonable to think that doing your time in prison can be part of your repentance process.

The Twelfth Article of Faith states "We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law." It is not unreasonable to think that if you do something terrible you should and will be held accountable.

Which does not say the confession and repentance are not important. It's just they they're not a way to evade legal repercussions for your crimes, especially for crimes this severe.

My disgust at this woman's gall knows no bounds. 

33 minutes ago, Cancer said:

The refereed journal article is here but that is likely to be behind a paywall.  (I can read it -- haven't started yet -- since my institution's library has a subscription.)

I can see the whole article from my work computer.

I don't think the National Academy of Sciences itself would care about that; it does seem to be a recent (in the last year or three) trend for many journals to put likely high-general-interest papers in the "open access" mode.