In other news...

tkdguy

6 hours ago, Cancer said:

Humans deal very poorly with effects operating on timescales of 20 years or so or longer.  It can be part of "Tragedy of the commons".

As an example (of the long-timescale problem, not the TotC) ... This is Naples.  There's the spectacular two-peaked mountain behind the city, and development is climbing its flanks.  That mountain is Vesuvius.  It is famous really for only thing: it exploded in 79 AD and destroyed a couple of towns.  The volcano is still active, and it will do this again.

This makes it a real estate developer's dream: build lots of cheap crap that isn't up to code and will fall apart in a decade or less, and sell it for big prices based on the name and the view.  Ideally, the place blows up (literally) before the construction defects become manifest and the lawsuits get filed.

When I look at politics, I find it hard to believe humans can deal with any timescales longer than 2 years. :winkgrin:

I do remember reading about some volcano that went active circa 1900,  most of the older residents of the nearby town, remembered the last time, and laughed at the people who evacuated.  Eventually it delivered...…..there were 2 survivors among those who didn't evacuate,  one who lived on the outskirts, and one who was in the jail and was protected somewhat by thick walls, who still suffered severe burning.

A lesson somewhere about he who laughs last, can probably be found.

Mt Pelee in Martinique. 

There was also the Harry Truman who lived in a lodge on Mt St Helens and refused to evacuate before the explosion in 1980.  He was the only one who refused evacuation.  Others killed were geologists and photographers (who went in knowing some of the risks) and I think most of the rest were people caught in the lahar flow.

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

Mt Pelee in Martinique. 

There was also the Harry Truman who lived in a lodge on Mt St Helens and refused to evacuate before the explosion in 1980.  He was the only one who refused evacuation.  Others killed were geologists and photographers (who went in knowing some of the risks) and I think most of the rest were people caught in the lahar flow.

Yeah, Martinique sounds familiar to the location, thanks.

4 hours ago, tkdguy said:

Christopher Tolkien has passed away at age 95.

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

Huh.  I had no idea he was that old.

It startled me too when I read it. Although on reflection, considering his father fought in WW I, it really shouldn't.

As a rather, um, unorthodox memorial (potentially NSFW due to language):

47 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

There is now a reported case in Washington State, brought in on an international flight.

Everybody. Panic. Now.

Not sure why this came to mind but...

"The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull of the ship. Also, we're flying without a navigational system and can't seem to change course."

"Miss?  Are you telling us absolutely everything?" 

"Not exactly... we're also out of coffee."

*Passengers freak out!*

- Airplane II: The Sequel