In other news...

tkdguy

12 minutes ago, Old Man said:

I've been using it for years.  I mean at least "Oath" was up front about selling my data when they took over Yahoo.

Ayup.

EDIT: Sorry, simplistic affirmation at best I know. But as much as I might resent having my data sold, I appreciate at least being told HONESTLY about it. HOw much is being collected, what is being collected, where it is going etc. Helps me make an informed choice.

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

I've been using it for years.  I mean at least "Oath" was up front about selling my data when they took over Yahoo.

I suppose they sold my data, since I did have an account there.

Which I was last active on in college, twenty years ago

3 hours ago, Hermit said:

It's not, just disappointing and infuriating. 

See my dislike of Corporations and what they get away with in the political thread.

Oh have I got a story for you.It is enough to make a grown adult cry.  

I don't have an article on it, but as it is related to the whole 'companies own your data' bit.... Valve's Steam Service , out of the blue for the last week or so it seems, started demanding your street/business address and PHONE Number if you want to make a purchase at all.  Even with gift card credit.

Even if they're concerned about Sales Tax rules, all the need really is your zip code for that.

To say I'm pissed is putting it mildly.

Nature (today) on the coronavirus outbreak

EDIT:

One number that epidemiologists want to know is how many people one person with the virus tends to infect — known as R0, or R-naught. An R0 of higher than 1 means that countermeasures such as quarantine will be needed to contain the pathogen’s spread.

On Thursday evening, after a meeting of an emergency committee responding to the outbreak, the World Health Organization (WHO) published an estimated R0 of 1.4 to 2.5. Other teams have since come up with slightly higher values — but all the estimates come with large uncertainties.

Saw that one yesterday.  It's dashcam footage from a fire truck that has self-protective sprayers mounted outside, hence the running water in the footage.  Supposedly there's a residence offscreen to the left that the firefighters successfully protected.  Kudos to them, given that the fire was intense enough to ignite the ground.

well, I can definitely imagine when it comes to fires.   When I was a teenager, my dad and me were burning some brush in the backyard.  And a freak wind came out of nowhere.  It was 10-15 minutes of hard working hell, to get control.  And most of that backyard,  let us just say didn't have to be mowed for a while.

Even had to scoop up a a little turtle who was moving faster than any turtle has before.  :(