tkdguy

In other news...

19 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Out of those three listed, I only saw Gunfight at the OK Corral and it was...well...ok.

Did you get corralled into seeing it?

(Do I need to turn in my citizenship as well, since I'm not a huge fan of John Wayne?  Don't hate him, just never really saw what the big deal was with him.)

I like a couple John Wayne movies such as Rio Bravo and True Grit.  Clint Eastwood is much more my style when it comes to Westerns though with The Outlaw Josey Wales being one of my favorite movies of any genre.

PS:  Although, I actually like the True Grit remake better than the original.

5 minutes ago, Starlord said:

I like a couple John Wayne movies such as Rio Bravo and True Grit.  Clint Eastwood is much more my style when it comes to Westerns though with The Outlaw Josey Wales being one of my favorite movies of any genre.

RE your PS, thank goodness, I'm not alone. I liked the remake better too, and I say that as a fan of many John Wayne Westerns! (Not so much the War movies).

1 hour ago, Starlord said:

1 hour ago, Hermit said:

RE your PS, thank goodness, I'm not alone. I liked the remake better too, and I say that as a fan of many John Wayne Westerns! (Not so much the War movies).

It is not John's fault. It is the fault of Kim Darby and Glen Campbell. Matt Damon was better in the Campbell role and Hailee Steinfield was better as Mattie. They cut off Mattie's arm in the remake which makes more sense for snake bite.

It's clear from the clip that he was having fun.

Making Spartacus was as heroic a deed as any of his fictional characters did. The blacklist needed to be broken, because too many careers were ruined -- the innocent among the guilty. I was hoping we would never see such a feeding frenzy again.

He was also one of the few actors who could tolerate working with Stanley Kubrick.

5 hours ago, Badger said:

With John Wayne Westerns in the later years.  I'd describe as more fun entertainment than anything else.  Not so much thought provoking  (though The Shootist is probably an exception)

I would say that The Cowboys is one of his better later westerns. Roscoe Lee Brown is also excellent in the film.

1 hour ago, Ternaugh said:

I would say that The Cowboys is one of his better later westerns. Roscoe Lee Brown is also excellent in the film.

Yeah, true.  And a rare death scene from John Wayne.  I can only think of 4 of those (cowboys and Shootist, along with Green Berets and the Alamo which considering he was Davy Crockett he kind of had to)

Didn't care so much for his version of The Alamo, but those other 3 were probably among his better films.

Edit: The Cowboys reminds me that that movie and the Tom Selleck movie Quigley, Down Under were 2 movies I didn't watch for years, thinking they wouldn't be that good, where upon watching them, wondered why I didn't watch them sooner.

A bizarre experiment in resurrection may soon bear fruit... literally.

Dead sea date palm npr News

I forget whether it was in this interview or the one she did with the BBC that project leader Sarah Sallon said that when she told archaeologists her plan to grow the lost Judean date palm from ancient seeds, "They said I was mad." Followed by laughter. Or cackling? Perhaps. How growing date palms from 2,000 year old seeds leads to supervillainy, I l;eave as an exercise for the reader.

Dean Shomshak

10 hours ago, Badger said:

Edit: The Cowboys reminds me that that movie and the Tom Selleck movie Quigley Down Under were 2 movies I didn't watch for years, thinking they wouldn't be that good, where upon watching them, wondered why I didn't watch them sooner.

Quigley Down Under was an amazing movie. Alan Rickman as an American-style cattle baron was a treat, and Laura San Giacomo played Crazy Cora just the right amount of over-the-top. Oh, and Tom Selleck was pretty good, too.

On 2/6/2020 at 12:38 PM, Lord Liaden said:

Seeing and hearing Kirk that way broke my heart, taped it together, and broke it again. I hope to high heaven I never have a stroke. I couldn't bear it if it was that hard for me to communicate. Sounded like his mind was still clear and sharp, as was his memory.

18 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

frJRkDi.jpg

Sounds like a business opportunity for a rival to me.

Government and private emergency services should have special rate plans . These can be abused by individuals but that is fairly easy to monitor and correct.

Put income derived by sales of service to emergency services in a special, ten-times-income tax bracket.

Also, initiate civil suits to recover damages aggravated by the inability of emergency services to communicate in a timely way because of profit-induced bandwidth restrictions.  Get a court order to seize $1T from the provider preemptively to forestall actions to the detriment of the citizens.

Then let the bandwidth restrictions get triggered, and hire grey market shadowrunners to set fires to the properties of board members, company officers and executives, and announce regret that those restrictions prevented adequate public response.