In other news...

tkdguy

35 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

Eh.  I reserve all my judgments on religious topics for myself alone.  I find arguing about them to be the utmost stupid thing anyone can waste their time on.  We will _all_ know, soon enough.

Well, I was referring more to the natural selection bit, rather than religion.

2 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Eh.  I reserve all my judgments on religious topics for myself alone.  I find arguing about them to be the utmost stupid thing anyone can waste their time on.  We will _all_ know, soon enough.

Speak for yourself; I'm immortal.

So far.

6 hours ago, Badger said:

Well, I was referring more to the natural selection bit, rather than religion.

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

Speak for yourself; I'm immortal.

So far.

Great!  I'm still out of Rep. Still, I wanted you both to know that it's only six-thirty A here, and you've already made my day.     :lol:

13 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

For nearly two thousand years,  most Biblical scholars and teachers have regarded the Old Testament as allegory or metaphor. Biblical literalism today is primarily the stance of fundamentalists and evangelicals. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_literalism

Bill Nye the Science Guy once postulated that you couldn't be a Christian and a scientist.

Raymond Damadian invented the MRI which has been the top diagnostic tool in medicine for quite some time now and has helped hundreds of millions of people (they've passed 1 billion scans and are clocking in at 60 million more per year).

He also takes the Bible literally. 

The talent level and work ethic on this guy seems pretty rare:

While studying violin at the world-famous Juilliard School of Music, Damadian competed with nearly 100,000 applicants and won a Ford Foundation Scholarship. He was only 15. This enabled him to complete a mathematics degree at the University of Wisconsin. He then earned his medical degree at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine and later did graduate work in biophysics at Harvard.

Many of the non-religious or anti-religious use Biblical literalism as a straw man to denigrate all spiritual beliefs.

I remember hearing a cosmologist remark that he considered studying the physics of the universe to be granting us insights into the mind of God. IMHO that's the kind of evolving spirituality the modern world could use more of.

58 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Many of the non-religious or anti-religious use Biblical literalism as a straw man to denigrate all spiritual beliefs.

I remember hearing a cosmologist remark that he considered studying the physics of the universe to be granting us insights into the mind of God. IMHO that's the kind of evolving spirituality the modern world could use more of.

I have had that happen to me.

I have actually been in a conversation with an anti-theist that began to demand if I thought there was a literal talking snake etc etc...

I told him that much of the old testament was metaphorical, ,symbolism used to illustrate ...

and because I did not believe that every chapter in the bible was literal, he declared that I was not a "real" religious person.

There's really no winning with that sort of zealot on either side.

13 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Not the worst way to view it, but when you are in a church that values evangelism it becomes a dilemma. Religion is a very personal matter for most people. and changing someone's mind on it is difficult. The question you are raising (and I will understand if you choose not to answer it, or if the discussion here drops in favor of other topics) is whether evangelism is inherently obtrusive. Is it ever acceptable to try to convince someone to change their religious beliefs or lack of same, or are the stakes high enough that such efforts are necessary?

3 hours ago, Starlord said:

I take the directions on my boxes of Kraft Mac & Cheese literally.

Not me. I'm not gonna let a stupid cardboard box tell me how much milk to put in my mac & cheese. If I want it creamier, then by Jove, I'll make it creamier, and there's nothing the bigwigs at Kraft can do about it!

4 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Not me. I'm not gonna let a stupid cardboard box tell me how much milk to put in my mac & cheese. If I want it creamier, then by Jove, I'll make it creamier, and there's nothing the bigwigs at Kraft can do about it!

That's okay, at least you're not one of those heretical Velveeta Mac & Cheese deviants

Just a reminder that Georges Lemaître was a Jesuit Catholic priest and originator of the Big Bang Theory and professor of physics at the Catholic University of Louvain. 

“He was the first to identify that the recession of nearby galaxies can be explained by a theory of an expanding universe, which was observationally confirmed soon afterwards by Edwin Hubble. He was the first to derive what is now known as Hubble's law, or the Hubble–Lemaître law, and made the first estimation of what is now called the Hubble constant, which he published in 1927, two years before Hubble's article.”

Yes, you can be a Christian & a scientist. 

48 minutes ago, Starlord said:

That's okay, at least you're not one of those heretical Velveeta Mac & Cheese deviants

Velveeta is good for one and only one thing.  Melt a block of Velveeta with a can of Ro-Tel original Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles, stirring occasionally.  Great, great con queso.