4 hours ago, Bazza said:

If you are out of CONTROL join KAOS. 

Maxwell Smart: "If I was from CONTROL, you'd already be dead."

Siegfried: "If you were from CONTROL, you'd already be dead!"

Maxwell Smart: "Since neither of us is dead, I must not be from CONTROL."

Shtarker: "..... That actually makes sense."

1 minute ago, Duke Bushido said:

Yep. 

Under no circumstances should a yone I. America ever go to the ER or ride in an ambulance. 

These are financial setbacks from which you will never recover. 

That there is one of my nightmares. Man our system is screwed up

36 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

Yep. 

Under no circumstances should a yone I. America ever go to the ER or ride in an ambulance. 

I have an HMO plan through my work. A few years back, I had an allergic reaction to a sulfa drug, and the back of my mouth closed up. I had to make a decision of trying to get an ambulance, or driving myself to the ER. I ended up choosing the latter, and I ended up with a $1500 co-pay for the ER and a night of cardiac monitoring*. If I had taken the ambulance, the minimum co-pay for that was $2000, with no upper limit. I chose to drive to a hospital that I knew was in-plan, as opposed to the two nearer hospitals, which were not in-plan. I was extremely lucky that my airway through the nose was relatively clear, but I couldn't speak when I got to the ER. I'm still trying to build up my savings from the event, but I was lucky that I had some money set aside.

These are not the calculations that someone should have to make before seeking needed medical assistance, but they are common in the US system.

*It took two shots of epinephrine (adrenalin), along with a Benedril IV drip to reduce the swelling. That much adrenalin in a person can lead to heart attacks or stroke.

I'm with you. 

Went to the ER three years ago, presenting with symptoms of both stroke and heart attack.  (I have record-setting high blood pressure) 

Won't tell you what the bill was, but I work two jobs now, everything is now in my wife's name, my credit is shot, and my ability to afford my htn meds is spotty at best. 

I know everyone thinks anyone saying this is full of crap, but I have decided I'm not going again.  Had two more of those episodes since, but haven't sought help.  If I died right now, my life insurance would almost pay off the balance on the current bill.  Almost.   There is no way in hell I am sticking my family with another two or three of that. 

Instead I had to teach a 12 year-old girl how to steer the truck off the road from the passenger seat 1 and kick it out of gear when it slowed down in case Daddy died next to her. 

I want to politicize this, but I know better. 

12 minutes ago, tkdguy said:

And he leaves a really complicated legacy, filled with victories, defeats, and unanswered questions. How many of his actions were truly justified, and how many were excessive and cruel? Was his rule beneficial to Egypt or destructive?

When he fell, many republicans in the US Congress were unhappy. If the Americans would not step in to prevent the deposition of an ally who trusted them, why would anyone -- dictator or no -- trust the United States in the future?

5 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Yep. 

Yesterday my brother was taken to hospital emergency by ambulance with severe abdominal pain. He was put through an MRI which found stones in his pancreas, which need to be removed. Because his pancreas was so inflamed, he needed a more specialized treatment. Today he was transferred across the city to another hospital where a team with more experience and more advanced equipment sucked the stones out of him. He'll need a couple more days in hospital to recuperate before discharge.

My brother is being charged $45 for his initial ambulance trip. Everything else is covered by his provincial government health insurance, which all citizens contribute to.

The Canadian government-funded health care system most definitely has flaws. But no Canadian citizen hesitates to see a doctor when they're sick.