In other news...

tkdguy

5 minutes ago, L. Marcus said:

Most of the US lies south of us.

Sure, you use that new fangled logic and Geee ooo Graphy, see how far that gets you

(Reads news:  Your country is doing fine? well, better stick  with that logic and geography stuff then. I'll be over here clubbing a flat Earther with a globe)

Gamers in the {Pacific Northwest can breathe a sigh of relief (through the masks they SHOULD NOT be ujsing because they won't help you but can hurt everyone else) can breathe a sign of relief, because Coronavirus won't cause Gamestorm at the end of this month to shut down.

I'd been really looking forward to playing and running games this year, I'm glad it's till happening and that, while they are taking precautions, they are not in the panic mode everyone else is. Good to get one more con in before civilization dies screaming.

This happened last Saturday:

Road rage incident in Burlingame, CA

The latest reports indicate that the perpetrator believed the victims had damaged his car, although it was later revealed to be a prank by the perpetrator's friends. According to a colleague, who witnessed the aftermath, the friends smeared dog poop on the suspect's car then said the victims had done the deed.

I don't usually work on Saturdays, but I am familiar with this area. I sometimes walk this route from the train station to the office.

18 hours ago, tkdguy said:

I hope the friends were also charged with some crime, since they instigated this whole thing.

On a related tangent (it's a real thing!), 

I had to go to the school yesterday because another kid dotted my son's eye for him.

Short version:

It was my son's fault.  Him and his little pecker-head friend decided to pester another kid-- a kid, who by accounts of teachers and other students (yes; I asked other students.  You can do that if you push hard enough) never bothered anyone.  He had a reputation for letting things roll of his back, so I guess my kid and the other kid thought it would be "safe" to harass him a bit.  

Shorter version:  My boy got his eye dotted.  Great big goose egg on the brow ridge and a lovely gall-bladder green patina setting across the upper lid.  So there we were, in the principal's office, right at the change of class, in front of those great big windows, my boy bent across a chair and me handing out the skippidy paps across his hind end while all his little friends watched on.  (No: a few swats on the backside don't hurt: the embarrassment of it in front of your friends?  _that_ stays with you a while. ;)   ).

Then the lengthy lecture, skipping to the end: "... and you know the worst part of it?  The absolute _worst_ part of it is that _you_  get to stay here in class.  The other boy got booted out for a minimum of three days and him and his parents have to go to a school board "hearing" to see if he can come back-- all this is unexcused absences; he can't make up school work or tests or any of that-- unexcused.   And it's _your_ fault.  You and your little pecker-headed friend--"

"Stop calling him that!"

"Boy, if your friend was any more dickhead than he is now, he'd be a damned unicorn!"  (the principal lost it at this point, but he regained quickly).  "_You_ did this, and you get to stay here.  The only thing that other boy did, as far as I'm concerned, was solve a problem you created, and _he_ is being punished.   Does that sound remotely right to you?"

At this point the principal interrupted and shook my hand again.  "Mr. Oliver, you are the _first_ parent-- I've been principal here for twelve years, and you are the _first_ parent I have met that understands that.  Of course, you're one of a very few that didn't start jumping all in on my about why they're kid didn't do it."

So yeah; I'm totally with you on this:  the people that _actually_ caused the problem should be completely liable for any and all damages.

And the current school system rules are sickening.

45 minutes ago, Old Man said:

How come UK badgers look like they want to welcome you to Narnia with a cup of tea...

and American badgers look like if you even THINK Of crossing them, they will hunt you down, beat the #### out of you in front of your family, then set fire to your house while singing Highway to Hell?

3 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

On a related tangent (it's a real thing!), 

I had to go to the school yesterday because another kid dotted my son's eye for him.

Short version:

It was my son's fault.  Him and his little pecker-head friend decided to pester another kid-- a kid, who by accounts of teachers and other students (yes; I asked other students.  You can do that if you push hard enough) never bothered anyone.  He had a reputation for letting things roll of his back, so I guess my kid and the other kid thought it would be "safe" to harass him a bit.  

Shorter version:  My boy got his eye dotted.  Great big goose egg on the brow ridge and a lovely gall-bladder green patina setting across the upper lid.  So there we were, in the principal's office, right at the change of class, in front of those great big windows, my boy bent across a chair and me handing out the skippidy paps across his hind end while all his little friends watched on.  (No: a few swats on the backside don't hurt: the embarrassment of it in front of your friends?  _that_ stays with you a while. ;)   ).

Then the lengthy lecture, skipping to the end: "... and you know the worst part of it?  The absolute _worst_ part of it is that _you_  get to stay here in class.  The other boy got booted out for a minimum of three days and him and his parents have to go to a school board "hearing" to see if he can come back-- all this is unexcused absences; he can't make up school work or tests or any of that-- unexcused.   And it's _your_ fault.  You and your little pecker-headed friend--"

"Stop calling him that!"

"Boy, if your friend was any more dickhead than he is now, he'd be a damned unicorn!"  (the principal lost it at this point, but he regained quickly).  "_You_ did this, and you get to stay here.  The only thing that other boy did, as far as I'm concerned, was solve a problem you created, and _he_ is being punished.   Does that sound remotely right to you?"

At this point the principal interrupted and shook my hand again.  "Mr. Oliver, you are the _first_ parent-- I've been principal here for twelve years, and you are the _first_ parent I have met that understands that.  Of course, you're one of a very few that didn't start jumping all in on my about why they're kid didn't do it."

So yeah; I'm totally with you on this:  the people that _actually_ caused the problem should be completely liable for any and all damages.

And the current school system rules are sickening.

School system rules always favor the bully.  It is basically lord of the flies.

No offense intended toward your kid, but given the horror I had to deal with at times in school, this did make me smile.  ( I generally wasn't so lucky as to deal with 2 on 1 odds, it usually 6 or more on 1).  But, I do hope he learned, for what it is worth.