In other news...

tkdguy

Just now, Hermit said:

How come UK badgers look like they want to welcome you to Narnia with a cup of tea...

and American badgers look like if you even THINK Of crossing them, they will hunt you down, beat the #### out of you in front of your family, then set fire to house while singing Highway to Hell?

*goes searching for Highway to Hell on the internet.*

Note: Might be best not to know what the honey badger would want to do to you.

Update on the story I posted: According to my colleague, he spoke to a student who lives in the area. She said the victims weren't even in a single group. They all just happened to be walking there at that time. One of them may be brain dead, but I can't confirm that. The guy purposely plowed into them, driving on the  sidewalk. He is being held on 25 million dollars bail and has pleaded not guilty.

16 minutes ago, Badger said:

You realize knowing us badgers, will be immune to everything in 20 years.  *starts making plans for the brethren to rule the world*

Nevermind, why rule the world, when it will be more fun to destroy it.  we are badgers, the bringers of chaos :eg:

7 hours ago, tkdguy said:

The guy purposely plowed into them, driving on the  sidewalk. He is being held on 25 million dollars bail and has pleaded not guilty.

I didn't know there was such a thing as "Not Guilty by Reason of Intense Stupidity."  Even if the people he plowed through *had* done it, that's no reason to do what he did.

I also hope there's some legal charge for the "friends" who started it.  The "stupid" runs deep in that group.

7 hours ago, Hermit said:

How come UK badgers look like they want to welcome you to Narnia with a cup of tea...

and American badgers look like if you even THINK Of crossing them, they will hunt you down, beat the #### out of you in front of your family, then set fire to your house while singing Highway to Hell?

It's nature messing with you. The stripes on the European badgers head are black over the eyes whereas the stripes over the American badger's eyes are white.

It is much the same with the Raccoon looking like it is wearing a bandit mask.

Bullying is a HUGE issue in schools. And yes, school administrators are often reticent to deal with the bullies, if for no other reason that the bullies' parents are frequently bullies themselves (imagine that), and they have lawyers. Punishing a bully, and then spending months in court and risking a huge monetary settlement for doing it? No administrator is going to take that on willingly. Even with the assistance (such as it might be) from NEA/AFT/LEAs/etc., that's a losing battle right out of the gate.

(This may not be the case at every school, of course...but it certainly is the case at mine. Ask any teacher in my building which parents they dread, and the same set of names comes up. We don't just have helicopter parents. We have Apache gunship parents.)

Our school, and several other schools in my district, have begun teacher-level programs to try to change the school culture. We emphasize the value of Kindness, Accountability, and Respect. We try to promote these things in class every day. And we try to have positive interactions with students that reinforce these values.

Of course, I spend so much time in my room grading papers that I'm not really sure how big an impact it's making.

15 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

And the current school system rules are sickening.

In Hawaii those rules started 3 decades ago.

When they first announced them (1988 in our school) I offered to suspend the half of the AP English class by running down the front row slapping everyone as I went by.

They reluctantly admitted that the zero tolerance policy might need *some* exceptions otherwise you can take anyone out of school whenever you want by smashing them in face. 

You can't honestly expect kids to risk permanent injury or death by not fighting back.

Awesome job with your kiddo.

3 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

In Hawaii those rules started 3 decades ago.

When they first announced them (1988 in our school) I offered to suspend the half of the AP English class by running down the front row slapping everyone as I went by.

They reluctantly admitted that the zero tolerance policy might need *some* exceptions otherwise you can take anyone out of school whenever you want by smashing them in face. 

You can't honestly expect kids to risk permanent injury or death by not fighting back.

Awesome job with your kiddo.

Well, I have to admit as I've looked back, other than the odds stacked against me quite often.  I wasn't really scared 1 on 1.   I was more afraid when I saw them one on one in the hall, that if I went after them, I'd completely snap, and couldn't bring myself back.  

15 hours ago, Hermit said:

and American badgers look like if you even THINK Of crossing them, they will hunt you down, beat the #### out of you in front of your family, then set fire to your house while singing Highway to Hell?

To be fair, 'Murricans seem to have that effect on a LOT of species they "interact" with... 😕