In other news...

tkdguy

I'm starting to think that precautions and restrictions against disease spreading internationally may become the new global norm. As with climate change, the effects of our cumulative behavior are beginning to come due. A lot that we grew up taking for granted won't be there for our children and grandchildren.

Same way it worked in China.  Greatly restrict travel in and out of the affected area.  This won't stop the virus from spreading, but it should slow it enough to prevent health care providers from being overwhelmed all at once. 

Of course, when the news leaked and thousands of people fled the affected area, that kind of closed the window for quarantine to be effective.

That's a possibility, but even taking that into account, the absolute lowest mortality percentage I have seen reported is 0.7% in places that were not hard hit and thus had no issues caring for patients.  Conversely, Italy's percentage currently stands at 37%, though there is surely a testing lag in there somewhere.  COVID-19's true mortality rate is probably somewhere between those two numbers. ;)

18 hours ago, Starlord said:

Given there's an unknown, but probably vast, amount of people who have it and have little to no symptoms and/or haven't been tested, the mortality rate is probably lower than reported.  That's what our doctors told the wife and me.

Ultimately I think this will go the way of the last few waves of super viruses and end up having  mortality rate well below 1% due to a very large percentage of people who get it not seeking medical treatment.

I would expect there are large swaths of people in all of impacted countries who haven't gone in for testing or who can't get testing because the testing supplies are limited / exhausted.

Still, this could be a bad one for the elderly and those with immune system issues.  Just got my wife out of the hospital for pneumonia.  It was not COVID-19 though so we may be back.  :(

3 hours ago, assault said:

Parrots have always known how to swear. Just listen to them* if you doubt that.

The news is that they are swearing in English now.

* Of course, you may live in one of those benighted countries without wild parrots.

In our ecosystem, the loud continuous swearing bird niche is shared by crows and jays, but I have heard parrots in the wild and know what you're talking about on a small scale.

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 5:57 AM, Sociotard said:

So, fire, flooding, toilet paper...

Did you guys piss off Moses?

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 6:18 AM, Bazza said:

Wonder what plague will visit Australia in April. 

Seriously, figure out which god you've annoyed.

9 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I honestly don't know what to think of that movie. It will either be brilliant satire or a dumpster-fire of epic proportions. But this trailer has me leaning toward the latter.

Where as I , just to be contrary ,predict it shall be a dumpsterfire of epic brilliance!