In other news...

tkdguy

3 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I did appreciate the charm of the fish-out-of-water/love story. But those were the days when America was in love with all things Aussie.

in my experience, most Americans know little of Australia, but what they do know, they like. The accent is a hit with most Americans I know. They find the animals life adorable. etc.

Of course, Americans get the accent wrong or over done, and seem not to realize that many of the creatures they find 'adorbs' will kill em in 30 seconds or less if messed with but hey.

In Denmark, scientists extracted a full genome from a 5,700 year old wad of chewing gum. They could tell all kinds of things, from gender and blue eyes, to having eaten duck and hazelnuts recently. Also she had mono.

https://gizmodo.com/scientists-reconstruct-lola-after-finding-her-dna-in-1840481633

I'm having fun imagining her looking down and seeing this happen. Having it published in a journal that you had mono has to be something that would torment the long-deceased.

On 3/9/2020 at 3:52 PM, Old Man said:

You sure about that?  When the mortality is equivalent to dying on a 4- on 3d6?

Well, I'd been going on the predictions that half or more of us are going to end up contracting it, so at the time of posting my thought was get it over with, most likely go through a couple weeks of regular flu-style misery, and then be immune and thus safe to be around my 80-year-old mom whose chance of dying or suffering serious complications is vastly higher than mine. But subsequent reports from China of people relapsing weeks later take the shine off that idea.

On 3/16/2020 at 2:41 PM, Badger said:

Now we know Australia want to kill everything.

If I've gotta go, let it be smothered to death under a pile of Hemsworth brothers!

And now an earthquake? Are you freaking kidding me?

The Salt Lake Valley had a 5.7 earthquake about 15 minutes ago. Things where I am are fine. Some damage to older buildings downtown and closer to the epicenter in the northwest part of the city. Reports are still sketchy. USGS is reporting at least 9 aftershocks between 3.0 and 3.7 so far.

5 hours ago, Pariah said:

And now an earthquake? Are you freaking kidding me?

The Salt Lake Valley had a 5.7 earthquake about 15 minutes ago. Things where I am are fine. Some damage to older buildings downtown and closer to the epicenter in the northwest part of the city. Reports are still sketchy. USGS is reporting at least 9 aftershocks between 3.0 and 3.7 so far.

A 4.6 aftershock just came through. It's the first afterstock I personally have felt all day. USGS is reporting more than 50 since the initial one about 6 hours ago