In other news...

tkdguy

I remember earlier this year advocates saying not to get rid of the dandelions that crop up in people's lawns every spring, especially with toxic chemicals. They are apparently one of the first foods bees have after hibernation, making them very important to a healthy suburban ecosystem. Which makes me wonder how the people with industrial-scale beehives control what plants the bees feed off to produce specific types on honey, from succulent clover honey to deadly rhododendron honey. (There's a Leslie Fish song in which post-apocalypse villagers are invaded by outsides, welcome them, and invite them to a great feast where they are poisoned to death with this condiment and thrown into a dry well -- something that seems to happen st leats three or four times a year. They justify this by believing that the outsiders are trying to build a government they want no part of -- which applies to any government.)

32 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Anything that poses a threat to honey bees is a problem. We don't need to add any more hazards for our leading rural pollinators.

Quite true. But as the article I linked to notes, among other things, bee keepers in the hornets' native Japan have been quite successful in minimizing the threat to their European honey bees with simple precautions, like shielding the hives in wire mesh too small for the hornets to pass through.

The authors of the webcomic StarPower have announced they are bringing the series to an end.

Shame, really.  I quite liked the fact that it wasn't a grim dark soap opera. 

Frankly, if the Big Two are going to do nothing with superheroes but dick them up with angst and boring soap opera crap, they should at least turn the word over to people who want to focus on either the "super" or the "hero" part instead of the "Oh, so much pre-pubescent angst" part.