In other news...

tkdguy

21 hours ago, Pariah said:

She's donated millions toward literacy, health, poverty relief, and other causes in her home state.

Petition demands Dolly Parton statues replace confederate memorials in Tennessee

And one of country's greatest vocalists of her generation. I don't care for modern country much, but she is an amazing talent.

I certainly wouldn't consider Dolly Parton to be modern country. But you're not wrong about her being one of the greatest vocalists of the generation. Her voice is amazing. She's a pretty talented songwriter too.

Modern country, e.g., the stuff that most country stations play today, sounds to me like Nickelback with steel guitars.

I admit I have not knowingly listened to any new music calling itself "country" since the 1980s, I think.  I did see some live performances while in Austin.  Saw Jesse Winchester twice (the first time, Christopher Cross was one of the warm-up bands), and I did go to the Armadillo World Headquarters.  And I went to Willie Nelson's Pool Hall once.

One of the most amusing modern country songs is Carrie Underwood's "Before He Cheats."  During the song it is suggested that the best way to rehabilitate a serial cheater is to destroy their vehicle.  Various methods of destruction are mentioned repeatedly throughout.  Unfortunately, one of said repeated suggestions involves carving your name into the leather seats...thus admitting your guilt.

8 hours ago, Cancer said:

I admit I have not knowingly listened to any new music calling itself "country" since the 1980s, I think.  I did see some live performances while in Austin.

Austin has been a hub for so-called Alt Country for more than a decade (Oklahoma City has been another). This movement focuses more on writing their own material and playing it live. They cite folks like Willie and Waylon and Johnny Cash and Charlie Daniels as inspiration, eschewing the more heavily produced sounds of artists like Garth Brooks or Carrie Underwood.

You almost never hear these bands on the radio.

4 hours ago, Pariah said:

Austin has been a hub for so-called Alt Country for more than a decade (Oklahoma City has been another). This movement focuses more on writing their own material and playing it live. They cite folks like Willie and Waylon and Johnny Cash and Charlie Daniels as inspiration, eschewing the more heavily produced sounds of artists like Garth Brooks or Carrie Underwood.

You almost never hear these bands on the radio.

I tend to like songs as opposed to bands or genres, so the genres on my phone are eclectic: Hip hop, electronica, K-pop, prog, blues, thrash, metal, Hawaiian, nu-metal, Irish folk, thrash metal, hair metal, power metal, folk metal, new age, techno, classical, movie soundtracks.  Country is underrepresented.  I have some Shania and early Tay-tay, but those are so mainstream I hesitate to classify them as "country".  Probably the only genre I have less of is reggae, where I have zero unless you count a couple of songs by The Police.

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

I tend to like songs as opposed to bands or genres, so the genres on my phone are eclectic: Hip hop, electronica, K-pop, prog, blues, thrash, metal, Hawaiian, nu-metal, Irish folk, thrash metal, hair metal, power metal, folk metal, new age, techno, classical, movie soundtracks.  Country is underrepresented.  I have some Shania and early Tay-tay, but those are so mainstream I hesitate to classify them as "country".  Probably the only genre I have less of is reggae, where I have zero unless you count a couple of songs by The Police.

No polka?  WTF?