In other news...

tkdguy

6 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

Once, a long time ago, I would be happy that sanity had won out. But since we've had Soylent and Juiceroo and Thanatos and raw water and ridesharing and that subletting company.

We're really dumb. Or too many people have too much money. Or both.

6 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

With rising global temperatures accelerating desertification, the likes of this may become a more frequent event.

Read somewhere yesterday, wish I was paying more to where. That it is a yearly event just several times more severe than most years.

16 minutes ago, Badger said:

Read somewhere yesterday, wish I was paying more to where. That it is a yearly event just several times more severe than most years.

Exactly. The severity was what I was referring to. Like so many other environmental factors, extremes that were once rare are gradually becoming the norm.

3 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Isn't the Southern Hemisphere entering winter?

"The Tropics" isn't the Southern Hemisphere. It's the region between the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn, north and south of the equator, essentially the girdle of the planet. That region experiences hot weather year-round with relatively minor seasonal variation in temperature.

22 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Elsewhere in closures...

Olympus quits camera business after 84 years

I suspect that the entry-level camera market is brutal.  I have one, picked up a few years ago;  it's more flexible than a phone camera, I think...but I always know where the phone camera is, pretty much, and it's a lot easier to send the pic somewhere useful.

AFAIK Nikon is also fairly dominant in the higher end.

100 degrees in Siberia is a huge issue.  Recognize what that's doing to the Arctic ice cap.  Also recognize that a loss of snow cover means the ground will warm...the light isn't reflected back up nearly as much.  This is seriously not good.