Popular Posts

maybe just a bust then

RELEASE THE QUACKIN'!

It's obviously a fluke.

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

Wait a minute...

Thats news?

Has the majority of the world bee off of wells long enough to forget that dirt is permeable?

Well, folks who don't live on long gentle-slope coastlines or big-a$$ sand bars tend to forget about that.  My house is two miles from salt water as the crow flies -- pretty close, actually -- but I'm at about 300 feet of elevation, I think, and there's no sight line to that salt water.

I cant see the coast from my house, either.  

But we do dig a lot of wells.  The water juat bubbles right out of the earth- eight though the earth walls- long before you hit any aquifer.  You can tell how much rain has fallen in the last five years by how much flow there is.

We could do it in New Mexico by the artesian wells, till they got squandered, and to an extent, even back on the mountains back home (I am orginally from Circle, Alaska).

It never occurred to me watching all the projections of the seas rising that science hadn't taken that into account,  It's the whole reason I used to laugh at people who said they are going to avoid it by moving to Nebraska....

Michael J. Fox has had a remarkable career.  It appears his health is finally forcing it to close.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/19/entertainment/michael-fox-retirement-trnd/index.html

Alex Trebek deserved all the credit he received for how he handled his cancer;  Fox has been a champion against Parkinson's and a role model for many for 20+ years now.  We tend to forget.

9 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

Well, this is disturbing...

#DisneyMustPay Alan Dean Foster

It should be spammed onto certain folks twitter accounts, maybe even brought to the attention of Mark Hamill.  He's pretty active, if he spurred on his followers then Disney might have to take it seriously.

14 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

What the heck?

I can't think of anything in my (long ago) business law classes which would suggest that you can buy a contract and only get the benefits but have none of the obligations.

If you buy the deed to an apartment building, you don't get to collect rent but are released from the obligations of upkeep.

6 hours ago, Cygnia said:

This is beyond egregious.  It not only affects writers, it affects everyone who creates.  As archer noted...get the benefits but not the obligations is an incredibly insane suggestion.  The obligation doesn't simply disappear.  

16 minutes ago, Sociotard said:

Scotland raises its drawbridge,  making It illegal to cross from rest of UK

https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/19/uk-lockdown-travel-to-and-from-scotland-made-illegal-13625330/

So it raising the drawbridge a figure of speech? Or is there a literal drawbridge that they raise to signal that Scotland is closed?

It could make it more difficult for Edward to help enforce Prima Nocta.

On 11/21/2020 at 11:56 AM, death tribble said:

One of the last remaining members of the French Resistance has died aged 100. RIP Daniel Cordier

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55028679

Excavation of Pompeii continues to yield results

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55029538

For, some reason when I read Resistance, my mind translated it to to Revolution.😦

In random sports news madness, in Major League Soccer's playoffs, Orlando City advanced over NYCFC on penalty kicks, with an improbable goalkeeping hero.  Orlando's starting keeper was ruled to have come off his line early on the fifth kick of the shootout, and that carries with it a yellow card, but he was already standing on a yellow card and so was ejected.  So a centerback put on the gloves (it was in the penalty shootout, and there are no substitutions allowed in the shootout, so the backup keeper could not be brought in) and stopped a shot.  A less terse but still brief capsule is here.

6 hours ago, Cancer said:

In random sports news madness, in Major League Soccer's playoffs, Orlando City advanced over NYCFC on penalty kicks, with an improbable goalkeeping hero.  Orlando's starting keeper was ruled to have come off his line early on the fifth kick of the shootout, and that carries with it a yellow card, but he was already standing on a yellow card and so was ejected.  So a centerback put on the gloves (it was in the penalty shootout, and there are no substitutions allowed in the shootout, so the backup keeper could not be brought in) and stopped a shot.  A less terse but still brief capsule is here.

And the Timbers lost their first knockout round match to FC Dallas on kicks as well. Although it wasn't quite that weird, it did involve eight rounds of shootout before a winner was determined. Portland won a similar match in 2015 over Sporting KC to start their championship run. The boot giveth, and the boot taketh away.

Bt there's a lot to hang ome's hat opn for the Portland timbers 2020 campaign. Hopefully we will never again need a midseason tournament, but the way the Timbers pulled it out in conditions that must have seemed surreal was quite inspiring. If we can get a full 2021 campaign in the books, don't count out the Timbers. RCTID!