In other news...

tkdguy

https://www.facebook.com/sjcoso/photos/a.608232172580652/4910699145667245/?type=3

San Juan County Sheriffs Office

The San Juan County Sheriff’s Office is aware of the mysterious appearance and disappearance of the #UtahMonolith. While we take all reports of crime seriously, we do not have the proper resources to devote much time to the appearance and subsequent disappearance/theft of the structure that was discovered in a remote area of public lands within our county. However, with hundreds visiting the area during the last few days, perhaps someone saw something suspicious. If you recognize anyone from the lineup provided as being in the area of the strange structure on the night of November 27th, please let us know! 

#SeeSomethingSaySomething
#WhereDidItComeFrom
#WhereDidItGo 

I've done some investigation, and I'm pretty sure I know who's responsible for the sudden appearance, and equally sudden disappearance, of the monolith in southern Utah.

It's either Cancer or Foxbat.

(But now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I've never seen Cancer and Foxbat together....)

On 11/30/2020 at 10:41 AM, Cancer said:

CNO cycle neutrinos from the Sun detected

Not sure anyone (but me) would care about this, but it's pretty good stuff if you're into stellar interior physics.

Ehh, one never knows when esoteric knowledge can come in useful, like conceptualizing a (literally) fusion-powered character.  Or going into Wild and Crazy Matter...the central thesis being the character has 3 levels of shrinking...with the Normal Mass advantage.  (So rough density...500.  24x the density of platinum.)

2 hours ago, csyphrett said:

isn't that the telescope where they filmed Goldeneye

CES

Yes.  The image linked in Pariah's post is from before the collapse of the focal assembly (the white triangle and stuff suspended between the three pylons).  AFAIK no human injuries were sustained in the collapse.

A few decades ago (1988), the NRAO 300-foot telescope at Green Bank similarly collapsed in the night without human casualties (but some fright).  That telescope was replaced with the much more ambitious Robert Byrd telescope.

I think everyone is hoping for the Arecibo telescope to be replaced, but it is far too soon to say much about that.