In other news...

tkdguy

Yeah, basically the studios are effectively going back to a monopoly through their streaming.  I think that's inevitable;  what scares me is, it's likely very long-lasting.  You won't see Phase 4 MCU etc. on anything *but* Disney's streaming, for 2-3 years, I think, instead of the 6-9 months.

I'm not sure what's going to be left, a year from now.  Or maybe even that's too soon to say.  It seems certain that non-sports entertainment is going through a complete restructuring, and who knows how things will shake out.....

3 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

In the very old days, many theaters were owned by the studios. When you wanted to see a Fox movie, for example, you went to a Fox-owned theater. There was no middleman. Antitrust regulators put a stop to that, but that line of thinking appears to be making a comeback, especially with Paramount's parent company starting its own streaming service. So with Disney, Viacom, Paramount, and Time-Warner all having services, where do theaters fit in? For that matter, what about Netflix?

This is why Netflix established their own production arm. 

And production studios backed by their mega media corporations are going direct to consumers via streaming.

Simple: if you don't like the content, don't subscribe. Those who have subscribers in numbers will succeed; and those who don't, won't.  

Edit: Basic economic law of supply and demand. 

13 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Good luck finding one. One of the biggest multiplexes in the Portland area is facing eviction after being shuttered for nearly nine months.

12 hours ago, unclevlad said:

I'm afraid that will be a very, very big "if."  I doubt theaters will be able to reopen in most areas before, say, July. 

I do have the advantage of living in Australia

17 hours ago, Bazza said:

And production studios backed by their mega media corporations are going direct to consumers via streaming.

Simple: if you don't like the content, don't subscribe. Those who have subscribers in numbers will succeed; and those who don't, won't.  

I don't believe in the "rational actors" theory of markets, at least not anymore. How do you know whether you'll love a niche film if you never get to see it because it's on the wrong service? And are studios and producers really going to take the gamble in this climate?

Finally, I don't really trust "mega" anything in the private sector.

19 hours ago, Bazza said:

How many services do you care to subscribe to?  The services bind you to their closed catalogs;  no one outside is allowed in.  Theaters are open markets;  they allow product from a wide variety of creators, and aren't limited.

What you're saying is true from the content provider perspective;  it doesn't address the issue, as Michael noted, from the content consumer side.

Eshed – who served as the head of Israel's space security program for nearly 30 years and is a three-time recipient of the Israel Security Award – explained that Israel and the US have both been dealing with aliens, the Galactic Federation, for years.

Joint projects include an underground base on Mars.

The Jerusalem Post was unable to reach out to this supposed Galactic Federation for comment.

https://www.jpost.com/omg/former-israeli-space-security-chief-says-aliens-exist-humanity-not-ready-651405

On 12/4/2020 at 4:41 PM, unclevlad said:

I'm not sure what's going to be left,

Sports and the Kartrashian network.

On the plus side, I wont need a TV anymore, so I wont need cable, so I wonr have internet.

Not internet, no tv.  It will be like befire I was married and I could get stuff done.

On 12/7/2020 at 9:18 PM, archer said:

Eshed – who served as the head of Israel's space security program for nearly 30 years and is a three-time recipient of the Israel Security Award – explained that Israel and the US have both been dealing with aliens, the Galactic Federation, for years.

Joint projects include an underground base on Mars.

The Jerusalem Post was unable to reach out to this supposed Galactic Federation for comment.

https://www.jpost.com/omg/former-israeli-space-security-chief-says-aliens-exist-humanity-not-ready-651405

His remarks read like dated sci-fi. And a publicity stunt ahead of his book.

Why would the Israeli government know about this, while NASA apparently does not? And does anyone believe if there really are aliens communicating with the American government, that Donald Trump wouldn't have spilled that by now? If the aliens did stop him revealing the truth, why aren't they stopping Eshed?

Lots of holes in this story. Like Eshed said, he has nothing to lose at this point by telling it. But he and his family do stand to gain from book sales.