In other news...

tkdguy

One thing you also suspect with Disney is, when they say PG, it'll be a lot closer to G than to R.  Which is not promising.  Of note:  the impetus looks to be, this should be a very good streaming property...and numerous articles are talking that movie theaters are dead, from multiple directions.  Whether they're going to completely die...remains to be seen, but there's a VERY good chance they'll never be what they were before.  And if this is streamed, it's in homes, and the notion of 'acceptable' gets tightened.  It isn't a death sentence;  I don't think Babylon 5 ever came anywhere near R.  But it is limiting.

And can they keep the core premises, with the old cast?  Everyone's 20 years older.  Just look at shots of Fillion from Firefly and from The Rookie.  It's not quite as bad as Moore's Bond in the last couple of his films...that was a total embarrassment to the role...but it's pretty bad.

1 minute ago, Starlord said:

Yuck....just...yuck.

- This doesn't really seem to be a confirmation, just rumor.

- I have no desire to see a complete Firefly reboot with a new cast.  That.  Cast.  Was.  Perfect

- The story seems to suggest they will make a kid friendly, Firefly-lite.  See, this is how you screw things up big time.  Buy a property, then make a half-a$$ version of said property and slap the name on it just doesn't work.  All you do is pi$$ off the original fans.

There were some points which made it difficult for people who didn't become instant-fans such as the Chinese language. I mean, it makes sense in-universe. But that isn't a selling point for a series trying to build a casual audience.

I'd imagine the whole professional "Companions" guild is hard to sell for a casual audience. We had a kid who was a minor during the original run of the series and my wife didn't want us watching it while the kid was in the room. And my wife was an instant super-fan.

If the choice had been between "watching it with the kid in the room" or "don't watch it at all", we wouldn't have been watching it at all no matter my wife's personal love of the show. She took things seriously when it came to exposing our kids to things she didn't think they were ready to deal with (and I let her make those judgment calls whether I particularly agreed or not, an informal separation of powers agreement).

12 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

One thing you also suspect with Disney is, when they say PG, it'll be a lot closer to G than to R.  Which is not promising.  Of note:  the impetus looks to be, this should be a very good streaming property...and numerous articles are talking that movie theaters are dead, from multiple directions.  Whether they're going to completely die...remains to be seen, but there's a VERY good chance they'll never be what they were before.  And if this is streamed, it's in homes, and the notion of 'acceptable' gets tightened.  It isn't a death sentence;  I don't think Babylon 5 ever came anywhere near R.  But it is limiting.

And can they keep the core premises, with the old cast?  Everyone's 20 years older.  Just look at shots of Fillion from Firefly and from The Rookie.  It's not quite as bad as Moore's Bond in the last couple of his films...that was a total embarrassment to the role...but it's pretty bad.

For a complete series re-boot, the original core premises were that

1) There were two war veterans who after leaving the service bought a starship to use as a tramp freighter. I don't see age being relevant for that. That's a background for anyone from thirty to eighty.

2) A doctor whose sister was taken by the central planets for nefarious purposes and the sister was broken. That's trickier if they want to portray it as his sister being taken as a young child. Less tricky if they have the sister identified as a target when she's much older. For example, they could have taken her because they wanted her to bear their Golden Child...or any other plot where bad men kidnap a beautiful woman.

3) Preacher with a mysterious background. Personally, I think they'd have to re-cast Book since his actor died four years ago. But anyone who is old enough to have had a mysterious background as an adult then changed careers to become a preacher could do that.

I don't think "Inara as a registered Companion" was core to the story premise. She was a love interest for the captain who was given a reason to not pair off permanently with him in order to provide on-going romantic tension. That's been handled dozens of ways on various shows (But we were on a BREAK!). But even if they wanted to keep that storyline, there's plenty of men who would be interested in an exotic older woman rather than an exotic young woman. Might even work well with the aging demographics of America.

Lonely female mechanic: any age. 

Dumb mercenary as occasional comic relief: any age. Just portray him as an aging dumb mercenary who keeps on doing it because that's all he's ever known and he's not clever enough to find a way out. Not far off from the original Jayne.

Pilot who is a love interest for one of the crew members: any age.

I think the chemistry of the original cast was awesome. If they could get a showrunner who understood what the original series was and what it wasn't, I think it'd be fine with the original cast. And awesome with Whedon.

I'm not a huge fan of reboots. But the movie killed off some original characters and ended the likelihood of an ongoing series which picked up and continued without a reboot. And while the movie was well-done for what it was, I wasn't a fan of the Miranda/Reavers storyline. I think that could be better done or left as an unresolved mystery.

2 cents

22 minutes ago, archer said:

For a complete series re-boot, the original core premises were that

1) There were two war veterans who after leaving the service bought a starship to use as a tramp freighter. I don't see age being relevant for that. That's a background for anyone from thirty to eighty.

True, but if they retain 'sergeant' that leans to someone who's 30.  50?  Officer.  Them's the tropes.  And the guy's supposed to be a combat expert.  Harder to pull that off with an older guy.  A 30 year old captain gives you Kirk;  a 60 year old captain gives you Picard.  One's in the middle of things, the other guides the active players.

Even if they brought back the old cast, there's no promise they'll get the same chemistry.  How many of those actors were basically unknowns at the time?  Fillion has moved way past that...Castle ran 7 years, The Rookie will have a 3rd season.  That's not A-List, but it's solidly B-List.  And the actors will all be a little different, simply as a matter of time.

It is, of course, possible that a new cast wouldn't work out...but a new, younger, hungrier cast is more likely IMO to click together.  I'd be more worried about studio-imposed restrictions, about whether show-runners and directors can recreate the feel, than about the cast.