In other news...

tkdguy

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

This is a piece of good news I wasn't looking for, but it came out of the pipeline today.

Medical treatment for meth addiction proves effective

"Researchers say it's not entirely clear why these drugs worked more effectively in tandem.

Volkow says one theory is that naltrexone reduced physiological cravings for meth, while buproprion's "antidepressant effects" eased the anxiety people experience when they stop using."

That's an interesting and intuitive approach.

48 minutes ago, csyphrett said:

So people come into the train station on the right, walk across the bridge over seven-eight tracks, some kind of work property and then ten lanes of traffic to get to a school on the left? How much foot traffic warrants a bridge like this?

CES  

Utah Valley University has a student body enrollment of 40,000 according to Wikipedia which is never wrong.

See that freeway interchange? That's University Parkway. It's adjacent to Utah Valley University, as you can see in the picture, but it also leads directly to BYU a few miles down the road. And it's the main artery into south Orem and north Provo. And it's a hot mess most of the time. Heaven help you if you have to use that interchange at rush hour. Or on game day. 

And parking at UVU is a joke. It serves 40,000 students now--even more than the University of Utah the state's flagship public university--but I've lived in Utah long enough to remember when it was called Utah Valley Community College. 

The FrontRunner system was touted as a solution to some of this gridlock. But the only place they could build the station is right where they built it (off to the right in that picture). Physically it's really close to the campus...but its been almost impossible to get from one to the other. This pedestrian bridge should help a lot.

15 hours ago, Pariah said:

See that freeway interchange? That's University Parkway. It's adjacent to Utah Valley University, as you can see in the picture, but it also leads directly to BYU a few miles down the road. And it's the main artery into south Orem and north Provo. And it's a hot mess most of the time. Heaven help you if you have to use that interchange at rush hour. Or on game day. 

And parking at UVU is a joke. It serves 40,000 students now--even more than the University of Utah the state's flagship public university--but I've lived in Utah long enough to remember when it was called Utah Valley Community College. 

The FrontRunner system was touted as a solution to some of this gridlock. But the only place they could build the station is right where they built it (off to the right in that picture). Physically it's really close to the campus...but its been almost impossible to get from one to the other. This pedestrian bridge should help a lot.

So the front runner is like the train system through So Cal? Okay. I see where it could be a problem trying to get to a university if you had no way to drive in. Where I live isn't big enough for a train system, barely big enough for bus transit

CES

We actually have two train systems. The first is called Trax. It's a light rail electric system the runs only in the Salt Lake Valley. FrontRunner is a heavy rail diesel system that runs the length of the Wasatch Front corridor, from Provo to Ogden--four counties, about a hundred miles, and something like 2/3 to 3/4 of the state's population. Trax is mainly for getting around SLC; FrontRunner is largely for getting to SLC from other places or vice versa.

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

We actually have two train systems. The first is called Trax. It's a light rail electric system the runs only in the Salt Lake Valley. FrontRunner is a heavy rail diesel system that runs the length of the Wasatch Front corridor, from Provo to Ogden--four counties, about a hundred miles, and something like 2/3 to 3/4 of the state's population. Trax is mainly for getting around SLC; FrontRunner is largely for getting to SLC from other places or vice versa.

Thanks P. When I was looking up the LA rail system, it was like commuter trains down to Palm Springs and back licensed by the state. 

CES