In other news...

tkdguy

Study finds that money CAN buy happiness.

Matthew Killingsworth, a senior fellow at Penn's Wharton School and author of the study, told Medical Press. "But when I looked across a wide range of income levels, I found that all forms of well-being continued to rise with income. I don't see any sort of kink in the curve, an inflection point where money stops mattering. Instead, it keeps increasing."  

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/mental-health/535769-money-can-buy-you-happiness-after-all-scientists

As it turns out, Mr. Howell was right!

No word on how Lovey is taking the news.

Marvel is putting the last member of the new Krakoan Age X-Men team to a vote. You have until February 2 to choose from:

• Armor
  • Banshee
  • Boom-Boom
  • Cannonball
  • Forge
  • Marrow
  • Polaris
  • Strong Guy
  • Sunspot
  • Tempo

I think the rest of the team is:

Cyclops

Jean Grey

Vulcan

Havok

Rachel

Cable

One Other Omnipresent Mutant

Leaning toward Polaris myself, because I have a thing for green hair.

8 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Marvel is putting the last member of the new Krakoan Age X-Men team to a vote. You have until February 2 to choose from:

• Armor
  • Banshee
  • Boom-Boom
  • Cannonball
  • Forge
  • Marrow
  • Polaris
  • Strong Guy
  • Sunspot
  • Tempo

Cyclops

Jean Grey

Vulcan

Havok

Rachel

Cable

I assume that's Rachel Summers, the girl from the future who keeps changing code names? Or is it someone else?

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

• Armor
  • Banshee
  • Boom-Boom
  • Cannonball
  • Forge
  • Marrow
  • Polaris
  • Strong Guy
  • Sunspot
  • Tempo

Cyclops

Jean Grey

Vulcan

Havok

Rachel

Cable

Since the rest of the team is extremely white and mostly guys, I think Tempo would be their best choice.  Not sure why they want all three of the Summers boys on one team.

I think Omnipresent Mutant has the gritty hand-to-hand combat covered.

Vulcan, Cyclops, and Havok are energy projectors.

Cable, Jean Grey, and maybe Rachel have the mentat and TK angles covered.

The candidates

Not very familiar with Tempo. Her powers seem uninteresting for an ongoing series.

Polaris, Banshee, Boom-Boom are energy projectors. Polaris has the advantage of being able to protect herself (and others) and fly. I'd like to see Polaris and Havok together. Banshee can fly and has been a long-time favorite. But the team is already heavy on pure energy projectors.

Strong Guy and Armor are super-strong. TK can mimic that to a certain extent but still a nice feature for a team. Armor is more armored and doesn't seem to suffer as much when the artist of a book changes as Strong Guy does. 

Marrow is a worse version of Omnipresent Mutant.

Sunspot has turned into a knock-off Superman with heat beams, flight, super-strength, at least some invulnerability, speed, agility, and solar energy absorption. He's also filthy rich, which might come in handy but less so than normal of they're working for a country. I've never found Sunspot compelling except when playing the filthy rich guy and not superheroing.

Forge is anything and everything because he's got a VPP gadget pool that's insanely large.

The team is light on women. You need at least three in order to have two keeping secrets from the third. Most women are reluctant to have girl talks with the Omnipresent Mutant.

I'm torn between Forge and Polaris.

My heart tells me Forge. My head tells me Polaris.

Of course, if I don't pick Polaris, she'll show up anyway....

I flipped a coin and it came up Polaris. So I picked Forge.

Interview of former head of Operation Warp Speed

Could have put this in the COVID thread, but this is more a retrospective about his role with the development of the vaccines and getting them out there.  He's a scientist, or at least sure as **** thinks like one and talks like one.

This pandemic is costing $23 billion a day to the U.S. economy, every single day.

How can you have discovered two vaccines, developed them all the way to approval, manufacture, and distribute with 99.9% precision 14 million doses to 14,000 sites and it’s labeled as there is no plan? We had to do everything from scratch. ...