In other news...

tkdguy

38 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Pronounce the planet properly (YER-eh-nuss) and there's a chance it'll go right past him.

Agreed. I figure that if Carl Sagan pronounces it that way, and Neil deGrasse Tyson pronounces it that way, and my astronomy professor pronounces it that way, that's probably the right pronunciation.

(I've also read that if we're pronouncing it the same way the mythological figure's name is pronounced, it should be something like "your-AH-noose". But I can't personally verify that assertion.)

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

Agreed. I figure that if Carl Sagan pronounces it that way, and Neil deGrasse Tyson pronounces it that way, and my astronomy professor pronounces it that way, that's probably the right pronunciation.

(I've also read that if we're pronouncing it the same way the mythological figure's name is pronounced, it should be something like "your-AH-noose". But I can't personally verify that assertion.)

Other fun fact: Uranium was so named in support of Uranus. So it would make somewhat sense that uranium & Uranus would share pronunciation. 

However, NDT clearly here says u-rain-ium not u-ra-num (video below at 1min 50 sec ish & 2 min 25 sec ish). As an Aussie I’ve always said u-rain-us, which seems to be the British pronunciation. 

just my 2 cents

3 hours ago, Bazza said:

Other fun fact: Uranium was so named in support of Uranus. So it would make somewhat sense that uranium & Uranus would share pronunciation. 

However, NDT clearly here says u-rain-ium not u-ra-num (video below at 1min 50 sec ish & 2 min 25 sec ish). As an Aussie I’ve always said u-rain-us, which seems to be the British pronunciation. 

just my 2 cents

Yes, I remember reading that upon the release of Cosmos in the early 80s, a lot of Brits found Sagan's pronunciation humourous, or at least odd.

21 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Yes, I remember reading that upon the release of Cosmos in the early 80s, a lot of Brits found Sagan's pronunciation humourous, or at least odd.

No worries. I found the Cosmos series with Sagan last year. I reckon I should get around to watching it, eh? 

51 minutes ago, Bazza said:

No worries. I found the Cosmos series with Sagan last year. I reckon I should get around to watching it, eh? 

Watching that series will tell you things about me that you won't learn in any other way.

On 4/2/2021 at 12:29 PM, Pariah said:

Every time I hear discussion on pronunciation, I cant help but think its forced, and ultimately, I retun to the smell-o-scope episode of Futurama:

"Astronomers changed the name in 20-[whatever] to pur an end to that stupid joke oncw and for all!"

What is it now?

Urectum!

I dont vare who or when or what or why, any other pronunciation will always feel forced if you have any American accent.