In other news...

tkdguy

22 hours ago, Old Man said:

Hooray! A monopoly is dead!

Now if only someone can bring back spinner racks and distribute comics to everyplace a book or magazine is sold rather then just to bookstores (of some type).

So, Utah's mask mandate ended over the weekend, with the understanding that individual businesses could still require patrons to wear masks if they deemed it appropriate. It was only a matter of time until this happened, I suppose.

Man who refused to wear mask in Utah clothing store threatened to come back with a gun

I hope they lock the guy up for as long as the law will allow.

53 minutes ago, Pariah said:

So, Utah's mask mandate ended over the weekend, with the understanding that individual businesses could still require patrons to wear masks if they deemed it appropriate. It was only a matter of time until this happened, I suppose.

Man who refused to wear mask in Utah clothing store threatened to come back with a gun

I hope the lock the guy up for as long as the law will allow.

Utah's law on assault is a bit weird: "a threat, accompanied by a show of immediate force or violence, to do bodily injury to another".

Threating someone's life by telling them that you're going to go do something violent in the future would not seem to be "immediate".

I'm sure there's other laws they could use but in a some states, such a threat in front of witnesses would be sufficient if the DA wanted to prosecute.

So, someone got nailed for spewing a defamatory, salacious story with no evidence:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/mlb/2021/04/12/joe-west-awarded-500-000-defamation-lawsuit-against-paul-lo-duca/7197588002/

You have to turn off your ad-blocker.  If averse to that (can't blame ya):  Paul Lo Duca claimed Joe West gave Billy Wagner preferential treatment when West was behind the plate, and Wagner was pitching.  EVERYTHING is tracked in baseball;  story points out that the situation *could not have happened* because the situation (Lo Duca catching Wagner with West behind the plate) never occurred.  West sued.  He didn't get all his claims;  he didn't back up his assertion that his chance to get into the HoF was impacted.  Still, $250K + $250K to work on reputation repair.

On 4/12/2021 at 3:56 PM, archer said:

Utah's law on assault is a bit weird: "a threat, accompanied by a show of immediate force or violence, to do bodily injury to another".

Utah also has a Threat of Violence misdemeanor offense which would cover this situation. That assault wording is pretty much standard most places in the US whether by wording of the law or how it's enforced.

-------------------------------------- Begin second post ----------------------------------------------------------------------

On 4/12/2021 at 5:18 PM, unclevlad said:

You have to turn off your ad-blocker. 

Worked fine for me.  You may need a better ad-blocker. 😁

Scientists estimate there may have been about 2.5 billion Tyrannosaurus rexes that lived into maturity during the Cretaceous, dominating the landscape for more than 2 million years. The mathematical model researchers used to reach their estimate is described in Science.

Y'know how we make jokes about tyrannosaurus's wimpy little arms?  Just think, in 70 million years the next sentient species will find fossils of us and make jokes about our lack of tail and wimpy little teeth and claws.