In other news...

tkdguy

On 4/11/2021 at 3:37 PM, Old Man said:

On 4/12/2021 at 2:23 PM, archer said:

Hooray! A monopoly is dead!

Now if only someone can bring back spinner racks and distribute comics to everyplace a book or magazine is sold rather then just to bookstores (of some type).

IIRC Diamond was also distributor for Hero Games. And the reason Darren couldn't pay me if full for Ultimate Mystic, Mystic World and Arcane Adversaries for several years was because Diamond wasn't paying him. While I wasn't pleased with Darren, really, what could he do? He was getting screwed, too! So I am pleased to hear about any trouble for Diamond.

Dean Shomshak

Oh my...

Clash of the Titans in the sports world.

12 of the mega-teams in European soccer (including Barcelona, Real Madrid, and Manchester United, 6th, 8th, and 10th on Forbes' list of most valuable sports franchises in the world) are tyring to form a soccer Super League...where they'll keep alllllllll the money rather than share it around,including to a degree, as I understand, with the lower-level leagues.  (In England, there are 4 national-level leagues below the Premier League...and more localized leagues below *that*.)

The leagues are screaming.  FIFA is rumbling.  Everyone's threatening bans for players.  On the flip side, the clubs are all huge.  "Sources tell ESPN" that pulling this off is remote, but hey, we'll see.  I'm mostly neutral WRT soccer generally, so I can just sit back and watch each side gore the other.  Cuz if it's gone this far that those teams were publicly announcing the launch of the new league, well, they had to be aware there'd be an ugly, ugly fight.

The first thing that pops into my head are some of the ramifications of the old, original Rollerball movie.

Ah well, I don't have to watch them.

And, on another world (literally) ...

The Ingenuity helicopter drone on Mars had its successful first flight.  Press conference I think starts at 11 AM PDT, which is 5 minutes after my next class starts.  :(

20 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Oh my...

Clash of the Titans in the sports world.

12 of the mega-teams in European soccer (including Barcelona, Real Madrid, and Manchester United, 6th, 8th, and 10th on Forbes' list of most valuable sports franchises in the world) are tyring to form a soccer Super League...where they'll keep alllllllll the money rather than share it around,including to a degree, as I understand, with the lower-level leagues.  (In England, there are 4 national-level leagues below the Premier League...and more localized leagues below *that*.)

The leagues are screaming.  FIFA is rumbling.  Everyone's threatening bans for players.  On the flip side, the clubs are all huge.  "Sources tell ESPN" that pulling this off is remote, but hey, we'll see.  I'm mostly neutral WRT soccer generally, so I can just sit back and watch each side gore the other.  Cuz if it's gone this far that those teams were publicly announcing the launch of the new league, well, they had to be aware there'd be an ugly, ugly fight.

They either think they can pull it off...or they think that a credible threat of doing it will strengthen their negotiating positions with the various leagues FAR more than it will damage their own clubs.

What may be interesting to observe is what, if any, reprisals come down, especially on Barcelona and Real Madrid, I'm thinking for now.  Perhaps especially Barcelona cuz they are in a WORLD!!!! of financial hurt.  Bankruptcy is reportedly very much possible.

Late Edit:  good line from a CBS Sports review of this mess:

In years to come, communications professionals will study the Super League as a masterclass in mismanagement. 

https://www.reuters.com/technology/amazon-let-whole-foods-shoppers-pay-with-swipe-their-palm-2021-04-21/

Amazon.com Inc (AMZN.O) said it is rolling out biometric technology at its Whole Foods stores around Seattle starting on Wednesday, letting shoppers pay for items with a scan of their palm.

The move shows how Amazon is bringing some of the technology already in use at its namesake brick-and-mortar Go and Books stores to the grocery chain it acquired in 2017.

The system, called Amazon One, also lets customers who are minors bring in their parent's hands so their palm print may be used for payment.

1 hour ago, Sociotard said:

That last paragraph is a doozy

I think I read a companion piece about how double amputees are complaining about this latest discriminatory act by Amazon.

If the ACLU gets involved, there could be a lawsuit.

It would only be discriminatory if Whole Foods didn't retain other payment records, yes.  Heck, a hand scan probably *can't* be used as the only method, sensibly.  Hand and wrist injuries are common enough, and would, one thinks, invalidate the scan quite often.  If they need most of the hand...I don't want to think about the times I've seriously savaged a finger or thumb while cooking.