In other news...

tkdguy

1 hour ago, Lee said:

I remember Tanktics quite well. I cut my teeth on microarmor...

That sounds *intensely* painful.

(Reminds me...one time my sister took a pin and drilled a hole in a toenail.  Don't ask me why.  It was...most unpleasant, I understand.)

1 hour ago, archer said:

You wouldn't want to know how many times per day I flub a name or term. :D 

Senility sucks, for sure...

3 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Don't remember it, but TSR was short for The Strategic Review...they were very much into military gaming.

3 hours ago, archer said:

Tactical Studies Rules

Tactical Studies Rules was the name of the company. The Strategic Review was the magazine the company produced; it was the forerunner of Dragon Magazine.

On 6/22/2021 at 6:23 AM, Michael Hopcroft said:

Anyone remember a minis game called Tanktics? 

Tractics.

Unfortunately, the tendency at the time was for wargames rules to lean towards overcomplication. Tractics was a classic example.

Courtesy of Google, the authors apparently wrote a simpler set of rules as well.

Yah, it's the guy who started McAfee.  

Story I saw says he flat-out said, he didn't pay income tax for 8 years for "ideological reasons."  Yeah, well, if so?  Tough noogies.  I don't remember the details, but there was a fair bit of other dirt on this guy.  Sense I got was this guy wanted to paint himself as a martyr when his own words make him out to be pretty much a dirtbag.

EDIT:
https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/john-mcafee-found-dead-prison-after-spanish-court-allows-extradition-2021-06-23/

43 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Wouldn't that chip your teeth?

Not if you're Matter Eater Lad.
Or if your teeth qualify as an HKA, without any focus or real weapon-type limitations...at that point they wouldn't take damage.

Or probably if you have, oh...4-5 rPD or so, that represents it's your body.  Or PD Damage Negation, same way.

(2d6 physical and energy damage negation would have saved me SO MUCH pain over the years.....)

OMFG.................................

No one's brought this up?

This is HORRIBLE!!!!!!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/24/us/building-collapse-miami-thursday/index.html

It's totally terrifying to me because the entire wing of the complex literally SLOUGHS OFF!!!!!  There is NO trigger or anything in the video from one of the nearby buildings, it just acts like a Jenga pile that gets its base pulled out.

The death toll right now is low...but there's almost 100 people unaccounted for.  It happened very early in the morning.  Town mayor said the floors have practically accordioned...much less, of course, the fully collapsed rubble pile is going to take a great deal of time.

It's clear there will be many deaths, and many others who lost everything.  Man....

USA Today cites a study showing the building had been determined to be sinking in the 1990's but no one's calling that the cause...yet.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2021/06/24/building-collapse-miami-structure-had-been-sinking-into-earth/7778631002/

But subsidence is definitely what I was thinking of as the cause.

5 hours ago, csyphrett said:

There were a couple of places in Florida where part of a highway collapsed a few years ago. I seem to remember a sinkhole was involved

CES

Sinkholes in Florida are usually more inland, as it's usually a pocket formed in the limestone that gives way when the water level underground lowers.

This condominium tower isn't built on limestone, however. Since it's on a barrier island*, its pilings were sunk into what amounts to sand and mud. I don't know if this part of Miami was getting flooding during king tides, but it wouldn't surprise me, and that repeated action might also contribute to a weakening of foundations.

*Barrier islands are not stable formations, and their shorelines tend to change dramatically after large storms. It's a really bad idea to build large structures on them.

18 hours ago, csyphrett said:

We have barrier islands on the coast here. They're basically sand bars. Why would anybody think that was a good idea

CES  

Barrier islands are supposed to be used in conjunction with other defensive measures. There will be good and bad for all of them,  so by putting multiple layers together, communities should be able to get better defense than any one will perform. And remember,  nothing is permanent,  in time nature can  (and will) destroy them all.

On 6/24/2021 at 10:01 PM, unclevlad said:

OMFG.................................

No one's brought this up?

This is HORRIBLE!!!!!!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/24/us/building-collapse-miami-thursday/index.html

It's totally terrifying to me because the entire wing of the complex literally SLOUGHS OFF!!!!!  There is NO trigger or anything in the video from one of the nearby buildings, it just acts like a Jenga pile that gets its base pulled out.

The death toll right now is low...but there's almost 100 people unaccounted for.  It happened very early in the morning.  Town mayor said the floors have practically accordioned...much less, of course, the fully collapsed rubble pile is going to take a great deal of time.

It's clear there will be many deaths, and many others who lost everything.  Man....

USA Today cites a study showing the building had been determined to be sinking in the 1990's but no one's calling that the cause...yet.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2021/06/24/building-collapse-miami-structure-had-been-sinking-into-earth/7778631002/

But subsidence is definitely what I was thinking of as the cause.

The parable of building on sand sprung to mind when I saw that. I wonder how much of Miami has yet to sink. How many more such tragedies are waiting to happen?

I'm convinced that many states have become full-blown pillars of kleptocracy, It sounds liek this building should have clsed years ago, but someone had to grease the wheels to keep this quiet. Oregon is not this bad yet, but it may only br a matter of time.

Flesh-Eating Parasites May Be Expanding Their Range As Climate Heats Up

Wonder which variety.  We already have telemarketers, Medicare extension scammers, QAnon, a semi-infinite number of fake antivirus extension billers, NFT enthusiasts, ....