In other news...

tkdguy

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

And probably East Coast before West Coast.  The East Coast has much better-developed mass transit to go with the more tightly concentrated population, and that should allow a smoother transition.  The West Coast has the longer trips because the cities are far more spread out.  The interior parts will build out from the major cities...Dallas, Denver, Chicago, St. Louis, Phoenix...and from the smaller cities but where corridors can exist, like ABQ-Santa Fe.  Slowest rollouts would likely be the central and northern Plains, and much of the mountain West.  it seems rather likely that conversion patterns will look a lot like 4G and 5G coverage maps. :)

Precisely. As my old wireless rep once told a customer, we build first where the money is. If you get all those coyotes, jackrabbits and rattle snakes to sign up for service, the towers will come.

9 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Oh my.

Andrew Cuomo has announced his resignation amid the sexual harassment scandal, effective 2 weeks hence.

Wouldn't stand close to him.  This is a Wile E Coyote fall;  the giant rock can't be far away....

That's cool because he's being investigated by one of the county mounties up there since one of his harassment victims filed charges on him

CES

You need to raise the status of that warning at the top.

I don't know how much to blame QAnon, tho.  The man's lawyer will have a built-in insanity plea that feels like it'll be hard to budge...not that he's likely to get out of whatever facility he's put into.  My totally non-professional take is, he had to be a garage filled with oil-soaked rags and cans of gas.  But QAnon loves tossing lit matches around like confetti at a parade.  Their culpability is based on the reckless disregard for consequences.

The mother's got to be totally crushed, too.  Her whole life has been burned to the ground, especially if the surf shop business was the financial cornerstone, because it's wrecked too.

It is always more affecting when an event like that happens somewhere you know/have been.  

What's sick is...for me, it's happened 3 times.

Yes, well...hopped on for something altogether different.  Carriage rights are the rights to rebroadcast a station's product, usually TV, by another provider, usually satellite or cable providers.  Carriage disputes are nothing new.  They've been going on for at least a decade, off the top of my head.  The public never knows whether it's greedy SOB local stations or penny-pinching, profiteering cable operators.  My bias is to think it's the local stations.

Or, in this case, the station owners.  Sinclair Broadcasting Group owns over 180 US TV stations, with a mix of all the big networks.  They and DISH are....squabbling.  Sinclair asserts DISH doesn't want to pay fair market;  DISH asserts Sinclair is trying to gouge.  As I say, my thought is it's Sinclair, if only because of the ridiculously OBSCENE payments being made for sports broadcasting rights, and I suspect, look for every way to cover this that they can.

Be that as it may.  No new deal is expected in time;  the current contract expires in a couple days.  So 112 local stations will get dropped.  I think this is one of the larger such conflicts;  it feels generally that these are getting more and more severe.  The entire home-media market looks to be splintering rather quickly, as these things go.

Simply from historical inertia, it is my opinion that whoever it is that provides local cable TV service is among the medium-gauge manifestations of Satan, and anything that sticks carving forks in their eyes is at least momentarily on the side of Virtue and Right.

3 hours ago, Cancer said:

Simply from historical inertia, it is my opinion that whoever it is that provides local cable TV service is among the medium-gauge manifestations of Satan, and anything that sticks carving forks in their eyes is at least momentarily on the side of Virtue and Right.

Not Sinclair. They were pro trump all the way, and are deep right

CES

Probably true, but don't limit it to them necessarily.  The cable companies followed the practices laid down by Ma Bell for a long time...and, by and large, have phased out a number of them similarly.  (Like requiring the customer to use only their approved equipment.)

The marketing is where I have issues.  Lack of transparency, mostly.  

With Sinclair...I think they abuse their position.  I was watching the Field of Dreams game last night...interesting if borderline moralistic-preaching IMO.  Sinclair owns the El Paso Fox station, so they spammed their "help! help! I'm being oppressed" message *many* times...quite often as part of the bottom-line crawl, maybe some picture-in-picture ads, and some outright ads.  And that hits everyone watching...be it Dish, OTA, cable, or IPTV that's carrying the game broadcast.  

And don't ignore the viewing public's role in all of this.  I have to believe a HUGE portion of the charges we pay to the providers, goes directly or indirectly to paying the insane broadcast fees for sports.  Sure, ad charges for the Super Bowl, college football playoffs, or Final Four are huge...but a lot less for the noon game yesterday, Nats-Mets, that was a makeup game anyway.  So the stations want to squeeze the providers because what they charge will never be revealed...its trade secrets.  I expect it's similar to luxury box revenue for the teams.  By contrast, the bills we're stuck with are...rather public.  When the price goes up, we yell at the person sending us the bill...not the supplier who just tripled their price.

On 8/4/2021 at 9:30 AM, death tribble said:

What do you o if you are German and bored ?

well you might collect things and it might end up with you getting a 250k Euro fine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58077039

How do he get it in the first place ?

So what?  A lot of old guys want to buy back their first car.  You know, relive the “good old days”.

(If anybody out there couldn’t tell, this is sarcasm.)

On 8/4/2021 at 3:22 PM, csyphrett said:

The thing with the plane guy reminds me of a CSI episode where a guy tried to open a plane door in flight and the passengers beat him to death. 

CES

Again, yeah so?  They were making sure he got to his destination.  Double their frequent flyer miles for their help and be done with it.

As if Haiti didn't have enough trouble, what wit their recent presidential assassination, comes this news:
https://www.dailywire.com/news/breaking-massive-earthquake-hits-haiti-thousands-feared-dead?%3Futm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=dwtwitter

7.2 earthquake with a number of aftershocks.

On 8/10/2021 at 12:26 PM, unclevlad said:

But the switch won't be easy.

--If you live in an apartment, where are you going to recharge?

--Charging stations need to be MUCH!!! more common.  

--How long does it take to recharge if I'm on the road?  I drove from here to Denver several times...it's about 650 miles going straight up I-25.  How many stops will I need, and how long will each have to be?  Found this:

https://www.nrdc.org/experts/patricia-valderrama/electric-vehicle-charging-101

I'll ignore the cost for the Level 3 charging for now, in that economies of scale may help reduce those.  But even at level 3, over an hour.  That's a long time for me, and for the charging station.  When I'm using it, no one else can.  It would've added a good 2 hours onto the trip.

And here's another thought.  The car's sitting on the charger for 90 minutes.  It's not going anywhere...for a substantial period of time.  The turnaround is low because every car at every station is that way.  This isn't like a normal gas station.  So, this *darn* sure feels like a pretty good place for smash-n-grab operations.  

The article also points out that the connectors aren't consistent.  When you start talking millions of these, that'll be a much bigger problem.  

Weren’t there similar problems about getting gasoline and such during long trips at the start of the automobile trip for pleasure era?   Things eventually work themselves out.