In other news...

tkdguy

Context: Jobkeeper was a wage subsidy scheme meant to protect employment during COVID-19. Although it worked, a whole bunch of company owners used it as a subsidy for their Hookers and Blow funds.

Also, in Australia, Pentecostal churches manage to be wealthy and influential, despite only about 1% of Australians attending them. I guess it's the right 1%.

/Context

Pentecostal church given $660,000 in jobkeeper, then returns 3,620% increase in profit

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/15/sports/olympics/fbi-hearing-larry-nassar-biles-maroney.html

High points:

--*multiple* gold medalists testified at a Senare hearing into the GROSS mishandling of the Nassar case by the FBI.

--the current FBI director apologized quite profusely and called the failures totally unacceptable.

Abuse was reported by multiple team members...and nothing was done by the agent taking them.  Which sure as HECK makes me ask, WHY NOT???  Something like...oh they're just brats, or even, oh, the way they flaunt, they're asking for it.....  I don't know but I would LOVE to find out, and while the guy has been fired, what the story says means a simple firing is *nowhere near* adequate.

16 hours ago, assault said:

Strangely, we can't provide enough housing for people on Earth.

Not enough astronauts, presumably.

Even if the human population doubled, there still would be enough space on this planet to get over one acre of land per person.  The primary reason that we don't see this is due to human greed.  Wealthy people want much more than they are entitled to and refuse to let anyone else have access to anything else.  If the middle class would get together,  they could force the wealthy to share and the land (among other) problems would quickly disappear. 

The main obstacle there is that members of the middle class all* aspire to be among the wealthy and oppress those they dislike, whether they recognize this in themselves or not and it doesn't matter if the second half of that aspiration is recognized and self-acknowledged or not.

*Well, there are a few pathological exceptions.

3 hours ago, Asperion said:

Even if the human population doubled, there still would be enough space on this planet to get over one acre of land per person.  The primary reason that we don't see this is due to human greed.  Wealthy people want much more than they are entitled to and refuse to let anyone else have access to anything else.  If the middle class would get together,  they could force the wealthy to share and the land (among other) problems would quickly disappear. 

That might literally be true, but it's meaningless.  Land isn't usable for residential purposes for many reasons:

--agriculture/food production

--parks and national forests

--environmental issues (flood zones, tidal zones, swamps)

--unsuited to development (unstable ground, a lot of mountain terrain)

--in the desert southwest, water is a SEVERE limitation

--ecological/habitat concerns

And I'm sure there's others I'm not registering right now.  PLUS:  there's a huge difference between housing and land.  The single family home isn't the only reasonable model for residences.

7 hours ago, Pariah said:

The other big question: Is is possible to sustain a human being on one acre of land?

Depends on the acre, and the degree of self-sustenance you're anticipating.

On the Jeopardy! move...that seems like the best call they could make, considering.  You know Jennings, at least, is going to do everything he can to help right the ship;  this has been a total screw up.

Scientists created the world's whitest paint. It could eliminate the need for air conditioning.

https://news.yahoo.com/scientists-created-worlds-whitest-paint-163538024.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

It not only reflects heat from the sun and surrounding air but it sucks the heat out of the surface it's painted on and emits that out into the surrounding air.

But would this *increase* the need for heating in winter?  Granted, that would likely be a lesser factor down here where summer cooling is the much greater concern.  (Barring freak weather, anyway.)

Mr. P:  turns out it isn't that surprising.  From Wikipedia

Paper brightener
A thin layer of barium sulfate called baryta is first coated on the base surface of most photographic paper to increase the reflectiveness of the image, with the first such paper introduced in 1884 in Germany.[6] The light-sensitive silver halide emulsion is then coated over the baryta layer. The baryta coating limits the penetration of the emulsion into the fibers of the paper and makes the emulsion more even, resulting in more uniform blacks.[7] (Further coatings may then be present for fixing and protection of the image.) More recently, baryta has been used to brighten papers intended for ink-jet printing.[8]

So the paint is just taking this up a notch.  Or 6.  98% reflective is pretty amazing.  Side by side, you can see the differences between lower-end (or especially, recycled) laser printer paper, and the high-brightness, premium stuff.

2 hours ago, archer said:

Scientists created the world's whitest paint. It could eliminate the need for air conditioning.

https://news.yahoo.com/scientists-created-worlds-whitest-paint-163538024.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

It not only reflects heat from the sun and surrounding air but it sucks the heat out of the surface it's painted on and emits that out into the surrounding air.

I need some of that paint! That and some Musou Black paint as well. What would I do with them? I have no clue yet, but I will thing of something.

9 minutes ago, tkdguy said:

I need some of that paint! That and some Musou Black paint as well. What would I do with them? I have no clue yet, but I will thing of something.

Heck of a thermal engine, perhaps.

Hadn't heard of Mosou Black, that's pretty neat stuff.  Vantablack is insane.  I rather enjoy nice watches.  Moser's made a few models using Vantablack dials....way, way, WAY out of my budget, as Moser makes very high-end watches.  (We're talking $27K here.)  It's pretty awesome.  One of my (pipe) dream watches would have a clear sapphire dial, with the entire interior of the case in Vantablack.  The structural pieces would be blackened too.  The whole gear train would seem to be floating.  (There's an even more exotic form of this dream, but I'd lose all of you....)