In other news...

tkdguy

On 9/15/2021 at 7:31 AM, assault said:

Australia is preparing for war against its largest trading partner.

Australia to get nuclear-powered submarines

The best thing you can say about the current government is that they would completely mismanage any such conflict, and we would lose quickly.

It is really just in case the Emus learn SCUBA!

22 hours ago, unclevlad said:

But would this *increase* the need for heating in winter?  Granted, that would likely be a lesser factor down here where summer cooling is the much greater concern.  (Barring freak weather, anyway.)

Aha!

So we launch a sneak attack against Russia in winter and paint bomb the entire country.

Combined with an EMP pulse to shut down their electrical grid, they'll freeze solid inside their shelters!

Diabolical!

1 hour ago, Pattern Ghost said:

I find the rush to declare categorical definitions and similar labeling conventions misguided in the face of rapidly expanding knowledge.  And while I never bothered to get myself nominated into the IAU, that was my opinion then and it remains my opinion now.  I can see some justification with the de-planetization of Pluto but it struck me as "unseemly haste" at the time, and I think the community should take heed of the public confusion back then and sit back and wait for more and better understanding before going with more jargon wrangling.

Edited by Cancer

1 hour ago, Pattern Ghost said:

From the article: "The scientist championing the naming of a new ninth planet, Caltech"

Personally, I think that'd be a great name for the ninth planet.

Anyway, I've been under the impression the fact that Pluto was much smaller than previously thought had a large role to play in its delisting (early telescopes were detecting both Pluto and its very large moon Charon together and astronomers attributed the size and mass of both to Pluto alone).

Well, a less charitable view: Having successfully campaigned to have an object discovered by a 20th Century American demoted from planet-hood, he now wants to elevate a different object discovered by a 20/21st Century American into planet-hood.  And he, not coincidentally, is the discoverer of that latter object.

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

Well, a less charitable view: Having successfully campaigned to have an object discovered by a 20th Century American demoted from planet-hood, he now wants to elevate a different object discovered by a 20/21st Century American into planet-hood.  And he, not coincidentally, is the discoverer of that latter object.

"Not coincidentally"? Boy, are you a cynic!

/sarcasm 

In the far-future setting of my "Magozoic" campaign, Pluto and the rest of the Kuiper Belt Objects are collectively called the Palisade of Night. Mythically, the boundary between the sane and sunlit realm of mortals and the unknowable horrors of the Far Realms. The Palisade has its own spiritual realm in the mystical cosmology, and its own gods.

Dean Shomshak

12 hours ago, Bazza said:

Pluto was always a planet. 😛 

That's goofy....

5 hours ago, Hermit said:

Man, the French are TICKED

They shouldn't have tried to charge the Aussies a cool million dollars to change the design blueprints over from the proposed subs using incandescent bulbs to LED bulbs.

That kind of price gouging will always upset a customer, even if you're delivering on time...which the French weren't.