In other news...

tkdguy

6 hours ago, L. Marcus said:

If you had known the movie, Duke, I would have had to pick my chin up from the floor, seriously. My quote is from a locally produced and made little film called Dö hårdast 2: utan någon anledning ("Die Hardest 2: For No Reason"). It's a pastiche of an action movie, with a budget that would make Clerks look like a blockbuster. A friend of mine was in it as an extra -- he had a whopping two seconds of screen time and no lines.

Thank you, Sir.

Mine was from a deliciously fun guilty pleasure of a movie called Highway to Hell-- back in the heyday of video stores.  :)

2 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

Most important paragraph:

There's still a lot of work to be done, however. It's not clear yet if this no-beginning causal approach can allow for physical theories that we can work with to describe the complex evolution of the Univese during the Big Bang.

Sorry to be Debbie Downer, but once again the headline ought to have been, "Theoretical Physicist Plays With Freaky Cool Math; No Evidence It Describes Anything Real."

The article mentions string theory, and that's a case in point. In 30 years of grand promises, last I heard string theory still has not produced a single testable prediction.

Still, I've used string theory as the rubber physics for an SF setting. The question that matters is: Can we use this for games?

Dean Shomshak

Why yes. I'd use it as the basis for SF techs like dimensional manipulation -- you know, those dimensions that are all curled up on themselves; I assume that the scales are comparable. A gravitic drive that magnifies local gravity in one specific direction; shields that send energy over a certain magnitude orthogonal to normal space ... All stuff I've been playing with in my head.

10 minutes ago, Cancer said:

In the US, certainly true.  I don't know enough about New Zealand jurisprudence to be able to say anything about there.

True, it may be that they are breaking new ground. But I suspect that male artists have been subject to the same reasoning in the past. Though maybe only writers, rather than graphic artists.

4 hours ago, Cancer said:

Actually, I kind of like the villain line: "BACK OFF, moron, or I'll start a real universe right where you're slouching now, and then you'll be nothing but numerical artifacts in someone else's microwave background map!"

That still wouldn’t work. 

Shatner Returns From Space

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds – and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of – wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew –
And, while with silent lifting mind I’ve trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

John Magee, High Flight

I like to think that's engraved on a marble tablet at Starfleet Academy.

1 hour ago, tkdguy said:

You know they should give Mark Hamill and/or Harrison Ford that chance as well.

And Patrick Stewart, Avery Brooks, Kate Mulgrew, Richard Dean Anderson, Amanda Tapping, Bruce Boxleitner, Claudia Christian ... who else am I missing?