In other news...

tkdguy

11 years too late, but the Chicago Black Hawks have been called onto the carpet.

In 2010, one of their players reported a coercive sexual advance by the team's video coach at the time.  

They did absolutely nothing because the team was in the middle of a Stanley Cup run.  This left a sexual predator free...and made unwanted advances at a team intern.

They let the coach go 3 weeks later...after the playoffs.  And hoped it would never see the light of day.  Yes, well, it did.  It took a LONG time but it did.

The NHL fined them $2M.  This might've been the max they could;  that, I don't know.  Covering up such an action deserves the most severe punishment that can be applied.  Execs that are still with the team, that SHOULD have acted, have all resigned...duh...but that's nothing after such a long period.

On 10/25/2021 at 1:56 PM, Duke Bushido said:

They used Morgan Freeman, too.

"...Easy Reader, that's my name. 

Readin' easy, that's my game..."

"Heavy, Man; heavy....."

Freeman does not like to think too much about EC -- the simple nature of the comedy probably makes him feel like a clown remembering it. But it is interesting to watch the Youtube videos of his sketches with the perspective of the actor he would become. You could already he the quiet, firm dignity he gave the absurd material. I'd already taught myself to read, but the show was (and still is) very funny.

They were even able to convince Tom Lehrer to clean up his act and write some great songs for them. "L-Y" is apersonal favorite of mine. ("You enter a very dark room/and sitting there in the gloom/is DRACULA! Now how do you say goodbye?/IMMEDIATELY!")

Lehrer would retire from music soon thereafter to concentrate on his academic career. Although all kinds of conspiratorial theories abounded, Lehrer retired simply because he was burnt out with touring and performing. He';s still alive, but according to news articles doesn't seem to mind that people think otherwise.

5 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

This kind of BS is also indicative of why US medical costs are hopelessly out of control.  it also plays into narratives such as "the numbers for Covid are massively inflated because the hospitals get paid more for Covid cases and deaths."

9 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

plays into narratives such as "the numbers for Covid are massively inflated because the hospitals get paid more for Covid cases and deaths."

Nobody wants to hear this, but my,wife (RN) quit the hospital precisely because she was ordered to "tweak" her charting because there _was_ financial motivation for every death or complication to be COVID-related.

She went To work a Hospice, and the same thing was going on there.  She ended up at a different hospice (after trying two other medical providers) who acknowledged there was indeed motivation to tie as much to COVID as possible, but that they weren't going to do it-- not because they were opposed, but because the director felt that he had "the worst kind of luck" when it came to getting busted for scams.  (Note that this did not stop him from trying to write prescriptions...    :rolleyes: )

9 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

Nobody wants to hear this, but my,wife (RN) quit the hospital precisely because she was ordered to "tweak" her charting because there _was_ financial motivation for every death or complication to be COVID-related.

She went To work a Hospice, and the same thing was going on there.  She ended up at a different hospice (after trying two other medical providers) who acknowledged there was indeed motivation to tie as much to COVID as possible, but that they weren't going to do it-- not because they were opposed, but because the director felt that he had "the worst kind of luck" when it came to getting busted for scams.  (Note that this did not stop him from trying to write prescriptions...    :rolleyes: )

Ugh.  Yeah, not what I want to hear.  That said, fine, there's always some fraud going on, and throwing out the numbers altogether is absurd.  But it's not good if the lie has a kernel of truth;  it makes it far harder to counter.

Yep.

It kind of sucks.  Unlike the crazy stories, though, there weren't "Massive cash bonuses" or anything like that: just grants to be used for hiring more professionals and buying more equipment and such.  The equipment grants seem to be what most places where (and probably still are) after, but any money "saved" on staffing goes into the budget (that is, making payroll using grant money instead of company revenue like normal)-- and most places pay certain executives a bonus based on "saved" revenue.

There is a growing movement to use the kinds of recycled plastics recovered by efforts similar to what tkdguy posted.  I got a couple watch straps from a Kickstarter project not too long ago.  They're quite comfortable.  Don't look bad at all.  I'm all in favor of these efforts.  Consumer products...ehh...I'm not sure how many things will create large-scale interest.  Hopefully they can develop industrial-level uses for this stuff.  9 metric tons of plastic crap *from one haul* is amazing and disgusting.

Efforts like this give me some hope that despite the best obstructive efforts of politicians, there may still be a chance.