In other news...

tkdguy

7 hours ago, Bazza said:

It's been a long time since i rock-and-rolled...

Fifty years of Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven — the epic all epics are measured against

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-06/50-years-of-stairway-to-heaven/100466162

I've got this version on The Money or the Gun: Stairways to Heaven CD, which has 22 versions taken from performances on the ABC (Australian) network.

My favorite version is this one, from Dolly Parton's album, Halos and Horns:

4 hours ago, death tribble said:

Lionel Blair dies aged 93. A fixture on British TV throughout the majority of my life.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48513358

Similarly, Bert Newton recently died in Australia. He was a fixture on Aussie TV since TV began. One person put it, “a one person history of Aussie of Aussie TV”. Legend, is taken for granted. He is receiving a state funeral.

1 hour ago, Bazza said:

Similarly, Bert Newton recently died in Australia. He was a fixture on Aussie TV since TV began. One person put it, “a one person history of Aussie of Aussie TV”. Legend, is taken for granted. He is receiving a state funeral.

not long before that was Brian Henderson. He was to News what Bert Newton was to TV Entertainment

15 hours ago, Bazza said:

not where I first heard it, but still good.

Robert Plant lauds Dolly Parton's Zeppelin cover

https://ew.com/article/2002/07/16/robert-plant-lauds-dolly-partons-zeppelin-cover/

Dolly is first-class in just about everything she has done in her career. She even satirized her image with considerable aplomb in the comedy 9 to 5, playing a member of the Dabney Coleman character's secretarial pool who everyone assumed was sleeping with the boss -- until she got wind of it and furiously threatened the manhood of the pool's tormentor. She did something similar in her role as a "respectable madam" in The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. But obviously her main career was as a singer and songwriter.

On 11/7/2021 at 9:00 AM, Pariah said:

Meh. "Comfortably Numb" has a better guitar solo anyway. So does "Hotel California", although technically it's a duet.

7 hours ago, Starlord said:

The solos in "Time" are my favorite from Floyd, "Comfortably Numb" is a close second though.

I think of these epochal pieces as evolutionary steps.  It is not fair to compare things that came out even as little as a couple of years apart because the artists were clearly drawing upon each others' accomplishments and taking inspiration for new ideas. (I am leaving out technology developments, which also had some importance.)  All of the aforenamed anthems owe a major debt to "In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida" in terms of making a massive multi-solo rock opus into a mass market recording, even though Iron Butterfly sounds downright primitive in comparison (aside from the amazing organ riff that opens and closes it); but that's because it came out in 1968.  StH was 1971; "Time" from 1973, Hotel California from 1976.  All of them are monumentally great; they are simply different snapshots of time in rock of that era.

Big mess of gravitational-wave merger event detections

Though this list almost certainly includes some things which are false alarms.  They put this comprehensive list as the two US LIGO stations went on an extended interruption in operations for upgrades and maintenance.  Some intriguing things in the list, though.

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

If it's a Hallmark Christmas movie, I will undoubtedly end up watching it at some point in the next two months.

I will no doubt be watching bits and pieces of it over the next months.  My wife has the absolutely annoying habit of constantly changing the channel, so she watches parts of 3-4 different shows at once, and the Hallmark channel is usually in the mix.  

What has 15 actors, four settings, two writers, and one plot?

632 Hallmark movies