In other news...

tkdguy

3 hours ago, Cygnia said:

That link wasn't working for me, but a quick Google brings up a ton of stories.

The allegations go far beyond just knowing about them...he was himself part of the problem.  Rather ugly story, it would appear.

This is probably news to most of you...there's been quite a bit of tennis this week, with both the ATP finals (top 8 players) and Next Gen finals (top 8 under 21) in Europe, and the WTA finals in Mexico.  So this story is getting considerable play.

Peng Shuai is a Chinese tennis player, quite highly ranked.  She posted an accusation of sexual assault....directed at a former member of the Politburo Standing Committee, effectively China's Cabinet.  Oh my.  The post was taken down quickly...not surprising.

She has not been seen since.  

China has blocked searching on her name...and even on "tennis" generally.

Then this tweet appeared:

No one believes it's real, which has of course elevated concerns greatly.

The tennis world is up in arms.  The WTA head mentioned that they might stop doing business with China...there are 12 WTA events there, IIRC...including some top-tier ones.  And this is right before the Winter Games.  China's unlikely to pull this BS with a foreign national, but one DOES have to consider the threat to personal security.

Can't speak for the media in the United States, but Peng Shuai's story has gotten significant play here in Canada over the past couple of weeks. It may be that we're more sensitive to moves like this from China -- we've had recent experience of how willing the Chinese government is to screw people's lives, including foreign nationals, purely to serve its own interests.

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

2 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

I hope that one day, my daughter finds someone to lover her the way that judge shroeder loves Kyle.

I don't know about that, but there is this story:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2021/11/11/kyle-rittenhouse-trial-prosecutors-crash-and-burn-america-watches/6390215001/

Now, OK, the writer is a legal correspondent for Fox News, even if the story's in USA Today.  But what he described also has some separate corroboration here:
https://apnews.com/article/kenosha-wisconsin-fc43e68b77c27ece4c7af460b175705b

My take is this.  In modern America, it is fundamentally not possible to get a fair trial in a case like this, where race and politics are the real centerpiece.  I'm not saying the kid deserved to be acquitted or convicted;  I'm saying impartiality cannot be obtained.  And once you get there, the trial cannot be fair.

1 minute ago, Duke Bushido said:

Race and,age nithwithstanding, there is a word that specifically means "unauthorized civilian combatant."   Given that this word has, since January, become highly politicized, I wont use it, as this isnt the politics thread, but there are a lot of laws detailing why he should be in jail.

But, was he charged under any of them?

On Peng Shuai, CNN is reporting:

a)  UN Human Rights office is calling for a full, transparent investigation and proof of here whereabouts and wellbeing.  Can be ignored by China easily, of course, but it clearly shows them that this is not going to disappear easily.

b)  The head of the WTA:

"We're definitely willing to pull our business and deal with all the complications that come with it," Simon said in an interview Thursday with CNN. "Because this is certainly, this is bigger than the business," added Simon.

EDIT:  That was Friday.  Today, Saturday, Chinese media releases 2 video clips.  They are unverifiable and have details that are...unlikely.  

Even an IOC rep suggested that if this doesn't get resolved, it may spin out of control very quickly.  I *cannot* believe, at least at this point, that the Winter Olympics will be called off;  mind, I *can* believe that some women athletes, who don't rely pretty much strictly on the Olympics...skiers have the World Cup events, Winter X Games events have a reasonable schedule of paying events.  Figure skating?  Don't think so.  Ice dance, speed skating, biathlon, sledding?  Probably some I don't know about but by and large, this is their ONLY time in the spotlight.

Also be interesting if the NHL players choose to pull out.  I think that's the only sport in the Winter Games with that kind of large organization.

I'm actually starting to get worried that this may turn VERY ugly.  Even a serious threat to pull tennis out, or the *massive* embarrassment of a partial boycott or Heaven forbid, yanking the Games altogether, will lead to HUGE reprisals.