In other news...

tkdguy

52 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Unfortunately, Wisconsin is not a death penalty state.

I'm not an execution enthusiast, but there are cases where it's appropriate, and on the surface this is definitely one of them.

The good news is...the accused was out on bail for some other stuff;  his record is...busy.  And the DA's going, oh boy, we blew it on that one!  So with a list of charges a mile long...5 dead so far (several apparently are still in critical condition) and over 40 injuries, including 18 chlidren, with the guy's rap sheet, AND with the charges including intentional homicide...he'll certainly be held without bail, unless Wisconsin law doesn't allow it for some reason.  

I'd say this could be a relatively quick trial, but we all know that's a complete impossibility.  But this one doesn't seem like it's gonna involve hair-splitting minutiae, and this guy is never, ever getting out.

35 minutes ago, Logan.1179 said:

I personally don't trust Wisconsin right now. He'll walk by morning and be guesting on FOX news. 

What are you talking about?  The driver has brown skin and dreadlocks.  He'll be lucky if the Proud Boys don't kill him before the show trial.

5 hours ago, Pariah said:

And the media immediately started speculating over whether this was a terrorist attack, what was his motivation, was he aligned with Left or Right, and other ratings-grabbing garbage for which we don't yet have any answers. Outstandingly irresponsible journalism. :angry:

At least All Things Considered said, repeatedly, that police would not speculate about the perp's motives, and did not offer speculations of their own. But even they have, all too often, brought on Expert Guests to pontificate on the mental workings and social meanings of perps that said experts never met. As the son of a journalist who was careful with his sources, I find it irritating.

ATC said this afternoon that bail was set at $5 million, IIRC.

Dean Shomshak

On 11/22/2021 at 7:53 PM, Lord Liaden said:

And the media immediately started speculating over whether this was a terrorist attack, what was his motivation, was he aligned with Left or Right, and other ratings-grabbing garbage for which we don't yet have any answers. Outstandingly irresponsible journalism. :angry:

You realize that compels me to quote Don Henley...chorus and outro removed...

I make my livin' off the evenin' news
Just give me somethin', somethin' I can use
People love it when you lose
They love dirty laundry

Well, I coulda' been an actor, but I wound up here
I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear
Come and whisper in my ear
Give us dirty laundry

We got the bubble-headed bleached-blonde, comes on at five
She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye
It's interesting when people die
Give us dirty laundry

Can we film the operation? Is the head dead yet?
You know, the boys in the newsroom got a running bet
Get the widow on the set!
We need dirty laundry

You don't really need to find out what's goin' on
You don't really wanna know just how far it's gone
Just leave well enough alone
Eat your dirty laundry

Dirty little secrets, dirty little lies
We got our dirty little fingers in everybody's pie
We love to cut you down to size
We love dirty laundry

We can do "The Innuendo", we can dance and sing
When it's said and done, we haven't told you a thing
We all know that crap is king
Give us dirty laundry!

We had our first woman prime minister today, for about seven hours. First, the new party chair for the Social Democrats, Magdalena Andersson, was approved by the Riksdag as PM. Then, the government's budget proposal failed and the opposition's proposal passed instead. This is treated as about the same severity as a vote of no confidence, so she resigned.

It's a bit of a circus right now. The Center Party (mostly neo-liberal these days) let her through (the vote for PM passes as long as a majority does not vote against them), but then turned around and voted for the budget proposed by the conservative (or, dare I say, reactionary) bloc of the Christian Democrats, the Moderates, and the Sweden Democrats. The last party ... even writing the name leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Oh -- and the Greens have quit the government over the budget issue. Now it's just the Social Dems. We'll have to see if they'll be able to shore up support for a minority government again, or if the blue-brown bloc will have their time in the sun, or if we will have an extraordinary election not even a year before the ordinary one.

Honestly, I'm surprised.

Jury finds 3 white men guilty of murder in the fatal shooting of Ahmaud Arbery

All three now face minimum sentences of life in prison, the judge will decide whether or not that includes the possibility of parole at some point. No sentencing hearing has yet been scheduled.

Got to see a lot of this going down a couple of days ago.

Interesting and educational.  That, and it just feels good to see the bad guys get caught.

Sadly, a large chunk of them came from Bill Gate's operation down here.

(No; I am pretty sure Bill Gates doesn't even know he owns the largest sweet onion growing operation in the country.  Seriously; I am quite sure of it.  He's at a level of wealth that he pays other people to invest it and keep up with it.  I'm pretty sure he doesn't know half of what he owns.  That, I think, is sad)

https://www.vice.com/en/article/dypvn7/georgia-modern-day-slavery-federal-investigation

13 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

Got to see a lot of this going down a couple of days ago.

Interesting and educational.  That, and it just feels good to see the bad guys get caught.

Sadly, a large chunk of them came from Bill Gate's operation down here.

(No; I am pretty sure Bill Gates doesn't even know he owns the largest sweet onion growing operation in the country.  Seriously; I am quite sure of it.  He's at a level of wealth that he pays other people to invest it and keep up with it.  I'm pretty sure he doesn't know half of what he owns.  That, I think, is sad)

https://www.vice.com/en/article/dypvn7/georgia-modern-day-slavery-federal-investigation

Wow. My blood pressure shot up reading about the scumbags. I'm glad they got caught but slavery is a special kind of evil IMO

On 11/25/2021 at 10:57 PM, Hermit said:

Wow. My blood pressure shot up reading about the scumbags. I'm glad they got caught but slavery is a special kind of evil IMO

I agree with you completely.

What the article doesn't tell, for whatever reason, is that the bulk of this-- not all of it, but the bulk of it-- is done to immigrants by other immigrants:  I can trust these guys; they are like me: they came here to find a better life; they speak my language; they know what I'm going through.  I am so lucky to have found these guys."

People just straight-up suck.

Magdalena Andersson has been elected Sweden's first woman prime minister again. She says she aims to form a minority Social democratic government, no doubt with support from the not-at-all-communist Left, the Greens, and the Center. Let's see how they fare until the election next September.

Of note is, that this year is the centennial of the women's suffrage. 

On 11/24/2021 at 4:43 PM, csyphrett said:

The trial of the Ahmaud Arbery murder ended in a conviction of his attackers

CES

Good.

I lived down the road from these dirtbags for the better part of a decade.  They are _exactly_ the kind of trash you think they are, no matter how well they cleaned up for court.

I see at least one person in the DA's office is looking at charges, too.

Dont forget this: the verdict did not come about because law enforcement was involved.  They saw the video footage and tried to hide it.

The verdict came about because the public saw the video and demanded something be done.