In other news...

tkdguy

Disappointing, but not surprising. That's been a trend in scientific publications for the past couple of decades: couch research findings in sensational, attention-grabbing headlines, because that will raise their profile, which makes it more likely to attract investors.

More and more once-respectable activities are being treated like con games. :(

I like the hype that says "this action--" this random collection of things randomly bumping into other things--"could serve as a solution for" a bajillion upcoming technological problems.

Frankly, I believe that, because I, too, believe wholeheartedly in percussive maintenance.

Though I think it applies to people, too.  

7 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

Pac-Man is not known for his reproduction. That is a very weird analogy. 

5 hours ago, Hermit said:

Yeah, Pac-Man isn't self replicating, part of the reason he chased after Ms. Pac-man (later Mrs. Pac-Man, the lucky guy)

Cherry-chasing dot-muncher. 

A student and fraternity member at UNLV lost his life last week after participating in a ":charity" boxing tournament organized by the frat to support a local Youth Boxing club.

As more details come out, it becomes clear that the organizers tried to take some precautions, but the unfortunate young man was in the ring with apparently insufficient training, with no ringside physician present.  He was wearing the standard protective gear of the amateur boxer, but it did not protect the face where he was struck repeatedly by an opponent of clearly superior skill (who will bear the memory of this event the rest of this life) . The referee was also apparently not adequately experienced.

No criminal wrongdoing is suspected -- the organizers checked all the boxes as best they knew, and it wasn't a hazing situation of the sort that has been threatening fraternity culture on a large scale in the US. But moral wrongdoing? That's another matter. Critics are claiming that college students should not be made or asked to go into combat against other students for the amusement of an audience, charity or no. This would normally raise the additional question of asking anyone at all to do it, but this is Nevada. This calls the value of youth boxing into question. UNLV is investigating, as is the Nevada State Athletic Commission (perhaps the most powerful regulators of boxing and mixed martial arts in the country.

Still, in this case I am thinking it was the attempt of the frat t do something good for the community -- and utterly failing.

I saw that coming long ago, which is among the reasons why I have never done social media.  Those media would, of course, have denied my early assertion of inevitability and initiated not-explicitly-illegal operations to damage me had I gone public with my assertions.

"Don't be evil" my a--.

10 minutes ago, death tribble said:

And the most expensive city in the world to live in is

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-59489259

London is not in the top 10. Two American cities are in the top 10 but not top 5 (New York and Los Angeles) Two Swiss cities are in the top 10 (one is top 5 but not the top spot) 

The building on the right looks a bit like the Hyatt Regency in San Francisco. For some reason that stood out more for me than the article. I still find the result a bit surprising.

3 minutes ago, Logan.1179 said:

Oh, wow, San Francisco is not on the list??

Time to move back to California! 

San Francisco is still pretty expensive, and the downtown area is twice the dump it was in the 80s and 90s. Embarcadero (where the Hyatt Regency is located) is still pretty nice, though, since it's a tourist spot.