In other news...

tkdguy

I was honestly waiting for that. Took even less time than cold fusion.

But I found two paragraphs from this article more broadly applicable.

"In science, the mindset made famous by The X-Files series, “I want to believe,” is frequently the most dangerous one we can have. Science is not about what you hope is true; it’s not about the way you’d like reality to be; it’s not about what your gut tells you; and it’s not about the patterns you can almost see when you ignore the quantitative details. At its core, science is about what is true in our reality, and what can be experimentally and/or observationally verified. Its predictions are reliable when you’re using established theories within their established range of validity, and speculative the instant you venture beyond that."

"Remember: The more you want something to be true, the more skeptical you need to be of it. Otherwise, you are already violating the first principle about not fooling yourself. When you want to believe, you already are the easiest person to fool."

5 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

"Remember: The more you want something to be true, the more skeptical you need to be of it. Otherwise, you are already violating the first principle about not fooling yourself. When you want to believe, you already are the easiest person to fool."

A/K/A Wizard's First Rule 

12 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Huh. And here I thought the "warp bubble" article was just another case of inept pop-science writing, tarting up obscure and technical results to sound grand and exciting. In this case, it seems the writer of the article accurately reported the tarting-up done by the alleged scientist.

Dean Shomshak

2 hours ago, Bazza said:

Wizards first rule would be to directly see & know Truth, therefore you wouldn’t need to believe. 

Part of Wizard's First Rule is that people will believe any lie if they want it to be true, or if they're afraid that it might be true.

3 hours ago, DShomshak said:

Huh. And here I thought the "warp bubble" article was just another case of inept pop-science writing, tarting up obscure and technical results to sound grand and exciting. In this case, it seems the writer of the article accurately reported the tarting-up done by the alleged scientist.

Dean Shomshak

Kind of refreshing, in a way.

44 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Max Verstappen wins first Formula 1 title

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/59628024

Verstappen has always seemed to be a brilliant driver whose emotions got the better of him on too many occasions. This seems to be true of most F1 drivers, actually.  Max can go fast and keep conrol of the car under most conditions, b ut I never saw him slice through a lead the way Lewis Hamilton could.  Looks like 2022 will be an interesting year for F1's governing bodies.

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

Part of Wizard's First Rule is that people will believe any lie if they want it to be true, or if they're afraid that it might be true.

I’ve just finished reading about that in the current book, which Cancer, indirectly “suggested” I read. Wizards first rule really then is the externalisation & social institutions of the relationship between reason and intellect.

13 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I was honestly waiting for that. Took even less time than cold fusion.

But I found two paragraphs from this article more broadly applicable.

"In science, the mindset made famous by The X-Files series, “I want to believe,” is frequently the most dangerous one we can have. Science is not about what you hope is true; it’s not about the way you’d like reality to be; it’s not about what your gut tells you; and it’s not about the patterns you can almost see when you ignore the quantitative details. At its core, science is about what is true in our reality, and what can be experimentally and/or observationally verified. Its predictions are reliable when you’re using established theories within their established range of validity, and speculative the instant you venture beyond that."

Quote the most incisive source: Richard Feynman's "Cargo Cult Science"

5 hours ago, aylwin13 said:

Does anyone else think that the way that the Caution and restart was handled was totally chickenshit?

Almost as chickens--t as the lap 1 incident where Lewis cut a corner.  But in between there was an awesome duel between Lewis and Checo, so it was worth the price of admission.

I didn't see the beginning of the race, so I can't speak to that. My problem is with the marshalls directly affecting the outcome of the race. Removing the lapped drivers and allowing Max to be side-by-side with Hamilton, when the race had left Lewis ahead with obstacles in front of Max, was (IMO) criminal.

On 12/13/2021 at 4:22 PM, Old Man said:

As someone with no preference as to who won, I was just glad the race didn’t finish under SC. The part I don’t understand is why Mercedes didn’t bring Lewis in for a tire change. That’s what doomed him. 

Here's a more in-depth look at the race finale.

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/32859440/inside-abu-dhabi-gp-how-f1-crowned-max-verstappen-world-champion-twice

Hamilton has valid grounds for his protest. If the race director had followed the rules and had all the lapped cars pass the safety car, the race would have been ended under safety car. Because he only sent the cars between Hamilton and Verstappen past, he gave Verstappen a huge advantage.

Interesting...

Brought up my favorite fantasy restaurant in the foods for those who don't care thread...

Got me checking, when the next book in the series (Brust's Vlad Taltos novels) was coming out.  I found out:  April 2023.

You read that right.  2023.  

Brust publishes through Tor, aka traditional publishing.  Apparently there's nasty supply chain issues...paper shortages, shipping container shortages, backed up ports, etc. etc. etc.   This says it way better:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/04/books/book-publishing-supply-chain-delays.html

And that was written back in...October, IIRC.  That is to say, before omicron decided to smack us pretty good yet again.

We hear about the disruptions kinda generally;  this one was interesting to see *just how great* the impact could be.