Jump to content

In other news...


tkdguy
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 1/2/2022 at 7:43 AM, Michael Hopcroft said:

I remember polaying the very first edition of "John Madden Football. I(t was originally a coaching simulator where you call the plays while the best graphics available in 1992 displays the play results. Most games of the time, and many that persist to this day, forwent the graphical display in favor of text descriptions, which is my personal preference, but I must confess to spending hours playing Earl Weaver Baseball on my first computer.

 

I don't know that John Madden himself ever played the game, or any other sports game. He was immersed in real football his entire adult life.

 

On 1/2/2022 at 8:24 AM, Old Man said:

 

AIUI Madden was a stickler for accuracy in the games that had his name on them.  Hardly played them myself though.

I am not allowed in the politics thread (though it's been five years now) but there's this academic whose views on Madden's game were very disapproving as was his opinion of football in general. I'm not going to say anything more on this part of the forum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The cast of Gilligan's Island aren't so much characters as types, as in Comedia Dell'Arte. Their situation was not supposed to make logical sense; the point of the exercise was the weekly struggle of the group of very different and usually stubborn people to work their way out of their impossible situation and fail. Remember -- "Comedy is a Tragedy that happens to someone else". They would rescue the Castaways in the real world in days -- at most a few weeks. But rescue or discovery is not the point. The point is the clash of types.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

 

They're all still out there on various channels. Gilligan's Island runs for 2 hours on MeTV stations on Sundays. M*A*S*H and Gunsmoke run at various times on TV Land. 

 

That said, most of the younger co-workers that I've had didn't watch a lot of live TV, and certainly wouldn't seek most of these shows out. MeTV's target demographic is the "Boomer Consumer", which they list as ages 35-64, which is roughly the last group to grow up with limited TV channel options.

 

Today is quite possibly the first time I've ever HEARD of MeTV.  TV Land, yeah...antique shows are their niche.  They've been around for a while.  Sounds like MeTV is the same.

What you're saying is, MeTV competes with CBS, huh?

 

Oh, wait, CBS' target audience is even older....or  it seems that way....and has for 3 decades.  

I don't count for the "missed it by that much."  At ALL.  We had 2 dogs when I was a kid...86 and 99.  Nuff said.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

The cast of Gilligan's Island aren't so much characters as types, as in Comedia Dell'Arte. Their situation was not supposed to make logical sense; the point of the exercise was the weekly struggle of the group of very different and usually stubborn people to work their way out of their impossible situation and fail. Remember -- "Comedy is a Tragedy that happens to someone else". They would rescue the Castaways in the real world in days -- at most a few weeks. But rescue or discovery is not the point. The point is the clash of types.

 

That's true NOW.  I won't say it was entirely true, albeit relatively likely, in the early 60s.  But yes, they probably would've been found in a reasonable period, like a month, with air search.

 

Realism has never been a common concern in TV comedy...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Pariah said:

How about, "Oh, one more thing...."?

 

 

Ugh.

 

I had to quit watching that show.  I can't help it-- that whole contrived "oh, just one more thing--"  I don't know if I have any others, but for me that's just an instant rage trigger.  I stopped watching when I realized I was about to hurl an ashtray at the television.  (No; I have never smoked, but it was like '78 or so: you had them for your guests...)

 

 

3 hours ago, death tribble said:

I do not get Miss Kitty at all. just not attractive in any episode black and white or colour.

 

 

Dude, _nobody_ gets Miss Kitty.  It takes a while to figure out that _we_ aren't supposed to have the hots for her (hallelujah!); it's about Matt Dillon having the hots for her.

 

Granted, I don't get that either, but I guess if you want to guarantee manly children, that's the pairing that should do it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, unclevlad said:

 

Today is quite possibly the first time I've ever HEARD of MeTV.  TV Land, yeah...antique shows are their niche.  They've been around for a while.  Sounds like MeTV is the same.

What you're saying is, MeTV competes with CBS, huh?

 

Oh, wait, CBS' target audience is even older....or  it seems that way....and has for 3 decades.  

I don't count for the "missed it by that much."  At ALL.  We had 2 dogs when I was a kid...86 and 99.  Nuff said.

 

CBS is a supplier of old shows to MeTV, so I wouldn't say that they're in competition. Here in Vegas, MeTV broadcasts on digital channel 8.2 as KLAS-TV2. KLAS-HD 8.1 is the local CBS affiliate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

 

CBS is a supplier of old shows to MeTV, so I wouldn't say that they're in competition. Here in Vegas, MeTV broadcasts on digital channel 8.2 as KLAS-TV2. KLAS-HD 8.1 is the local CBS affiliate.

 

That appears to be coincidental.  You're right that CBS is a big source, but so is the old 20th Century TV arm.  And I saw some others.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MeTV

 

And it was pretty much just a dig WRT CBS.  Their lineup focuses on that older demographic *extensively*.  Has for ages.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Logan.1179 said:

 

On the one hand, I must respect her for finding a unique business niche and exploiting it with a legal product. 

 

On the other, the stupidity and ... "eccentricity" of her customer base further erodes my faith in humanity.

 

If P.T. Barnum were alive today he'd be the richest man in the world. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

The cast of Gilligan's Island aren't so much characters as types, as in Comedia Dell'Arte. Their situation was not supposed to make logical sense; the point of the exercise was the weekly struggle of the group of very different and usually stubborn people to work their way out of their impossible situation and fail. Remember -- "Comedy is a Tragedy that happens to someone else". They would rescue the Castaways in the real world in days -- at most a few weeks. But rescue or discovery is not the point. The point is the clash of types.


     I don't think it was intentional as much as fate but I’ve seen on the ‘net the castaways archetyped as the seven deadly sins.  The Skipper - Gluttony,  Ginger - Lust,  Mary-Ann - Envy,  Mr. Howell - Greed etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

 

Remember, more US astronauts have come from Ohio than from any other state.  What is it about Ohio that makes people want to leave the planet?

 

 

From my limited experience with Ohio back in my house-moving days, I'm going to say it's probably the staggeringly high percentage of racists.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Simon locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...