In other news...

tkdguy

3 hours ago, Tjack said:

I don't think it was intentional as much as fate but I’ve seen on the ‘net the castaways archetyped as the seven deadly sins.  The Skipper - Gluttony,  Ginger - Lust,  Mary-Ann - Envy,  Mr. Howell - Greed etc. 

White Wolf game company's house organ, White Wolf Magazine, once ran a spoof ad for "Gilligangrel's Island," identifying the cast with the seven original vampire clans from Vampire: the Masquerade. The Skipper was Brujah (a clan whose members have anger management issues), Mr. Howell as Ventrue (the old money, aristocratic vampires), Ginger as the Toreador (the "beautiful" vampires), etc. Also on the spoof TV schedule: Arkham 90210, a teen soap version of the Cthulhu Mythos.

Dean Shomshak

It was reported yesterday that Novak Djokovic would be allowed an exemption to enter Australia.  That was by the Victoria state government.

Yes, well, today, the prime minister *quashed* that...and as of right now, his visa has been cancelled, and his entry denied.

It remains to be seen if this is a paperwork snafu or not, but it's a mess....

Just now, DShomshak said:

White Wolf game company's house organ, White Wolf Magazine, once ran a spoof ad for "Gilligangrel's Island," identifying the cast with the seven original vampire clans from Vampire: the Masquerade. The Skipper was Brujah (a clan whose members have anger management issues), Mr. Howell as Ventrue (the old money, aristocratic vampires), Ginger as the Toreador (the "beautiful" vampires), etc. Also on the spoof TV schedule: Arkham 90210, a teen soap version of the Cthulhu Mythos.

Dean Shomshak

Arkham 90210 sounds like a “one-liner” description of a new series on the WB.  

20 hours ago, unclevlad said:

It was reported yesterday that Novak Djokovic would be allowed an exemption to enter Australia.  That was by the Victoria state government.

Yes, well, today, the prime minister *quashed* that...and as of right now, his visa has been cancelled, and his entry denied.

Djokovic is apparently opposed to getting a vaccine, and there has been an upsurge in new Covid cases in the last few days. And considering that Djokovic got Covid in 2020, I can see why the Australian government is leery about letting him in. 

Here's an opinion piece about the matter.

Yeah, the story used a great word...hubris.  Canada has tight rules;  that's been a major pain for the NHL.  But Australia's rules are FAR tighter;  but it's also meant their case and death rates have been far, far lower.  

The story also suggests that the Australian government and tennis organization are...let's just say, not entirely on the same page.  It's not surprising that Tennis Australia oversells;  that's where their interest lies.  The problem is more likely to assume they have any real credence.  But apparently there are state-federal issues in Australia about on par with the US and Texas.

I honestly think that, even if he's allowed in and allowed to play, Djokovic's chances of winning the event are now considerably lower.

Something I'm noting.

ESPN is ramping up its college basketball coverage as conference season goes into high gear, and obviously, college football is all but done so they need something to fill in the schedule.

Whether it's more related to travel issues...one of the games last night, the analyst was stuck in the airport for multiple hours before he could eventually get a flight to the game city...or Covid issues in and of themselves, coverage is shifting back, somewhat, to off-site, with the game callers at their homes and getting a feed.

The game tonight...Wazoo vs. Colorado, in Boulder...is pretty sparsely attended, but the first day of classes is next Monday. 

I'll have to pay more attention to games for the next few weeks, but I wouldn't be surprised that...particularly for college basketball, which has to cover so many games each week...that they'll use remote broadcasting to a large degree, like last year.  

On 1/5/2022 at 8:40 PM, unclevlad said:

Stand by your promises.  If you make an exemption for one peckerhead, before you can turn around you will be up to your armpits in peckerheads.

1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

I don;t think of him as a "Black ACtor", but as an actor. In his prime, though, a lot of his films were about race, His Oscar was for Lillies in the Field, playing a down-on-his-luck handyman who finds himself rebuilding a neglected convent. This is one of the most brilliant song scenes you will every see.

https://youtu.be/rn6w255CGkk 

I'm linking it because I didn't want to subject religion on those who don't want it.

His most iconic role, of course, is Virgil Tibbs in The Heat of the Night, a Northern police detective forced to investigate a murder in the Deep South. It was Rod Steiger that got the Oscar for that one, but Poitier made the film with his combination of dignity, rage, and brilliance.. He made another film as the character, which I haven't seen, but even if it had only been one film Virgil Tibbs ranks as one of the great Hollywood detectives.

1 hour ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

His most iconic role, of course, is Virgil Tibbs in The Heat of the Night, a Northern police detective forced to investigate a murder in the Deep South. It was Rod Steiger that got the Oscar for that one, but Poitier made the film with his combination of dignity, rage, and brilliance.. He made another film as the character, which I haven't seen, but even if it had only been one film Virgil Tibbs ranks as one of the great Hollywood detectives.

One might argue that was his most iconic;  there's also To Sir With Love, for example.  And Lilies of the Field.  And others.  He kinda got "lost" a bit in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner.?..but that's because the parents there were...Tracy and Hepburn.  But that's just saying there's an embarrassment of riches to pick from.

1 hour ago, Duke Bushido said:

Stand by your promises.  If you make an exemption for one peckerhead, before you can turn around you will be up to your armpits in peckerheads.

There are grounds for exemptions.  Djokovic asserted a dubious one...recent infection.  I don't think it was in the time frame.  A female tennis player was also stopped at the border...she attempted to assert the same exemption and it was denied.  

NYT also has a piece today:  the anti-vax athletes are losing support rapidly.  The point I agree most with is, the pushback is against the perception of privilege they believe they're owed.  They want to have their cake, eat it, and make us pay for it.  That doesn't sit very well wit a LOT of people.

So...yeah, there's likely some politics at play here.  But I'm never gonna side with an anti-rational position.