In other news...

tkdguy

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-60034013

Those attending the Olympics are being advised to use a burner phone, and even create a temp email address.  They are being required to use an app supplied by China to report their Covid status...and to have that app 14 days in advance of arriving.  There are some flags about the app, tho.

On 1/7/2022 at 12:48 PM, Michael Hopcroft said:

I don;t think of him as a "Black ACtor", but as an actor. In his prime, though, a lot of his films were about race, His Oscar was for Lillies in the Field, playing a down-on-his-luck handyman who finds himself rebuilding a neglected convent. This is one of the most brilliant song scenes you will every see.

https://youtu.be/rn6w255CGkk 

I'm linking it because I didn't want to subject religion on those who don't want it.

His most iconic role, of course, is Virgil Tibbs in The Heat of the Night, a Northern police detective forced to investigate a murder in the Deep South. It was Rod Steiger that got the Oscar for that one, but Poitier made the film with his combination of dignity, rage, and brilliance.. He made another film as the character, which I haven't seen, but even if it had only been one film Virgil Tibbs ranks as one of the great Hollywood detectives.

There were a total of three movies with the character of Virgil Tibbs.   
In the Heat of the Night

They Call me MISTER TIBBS

The Organization

I believe Mr. Poiter may have portrayed the first Black (the era’s term) heroic lead to have a series of movies. Richard Roundtree’s Shaft was the second.

14 hours ago, Cygnia said:

5 hours ago, assault said:

Thanks for this  I will ask one of my tame Indonesia experts about it.

I'm no Indonesia expert (although I am rather tame), but I've read for years that the city of Jakarta is built on soft ground and has been slowly sinking into it under its own weight. All the other negatives about Jakarta listed in that article are true, but in and of themselves could be dealt with. The sinking makes the site unsustainable for a city of that size in the long term.

11 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

If you can find an old book titled "Terror on Highway 59", it's based on a real-life sherriff in COldspring TX named Humpy Parker who did this sort thing back in the 1980s.  WIth a fake lie detector to extract quick fine payments from those pulled over.

On 1/19/2022 at 10:09 AM, Logan.1179 said:

Yeah, Brookside has been a problem for years, but during Corona, it went nuts and they even started taking down their own.  Once they realized the locals couldn't afford to fight, it went all kinds of nuts- like Ludowicci, GA, in the sixties and seventies.

Best advice is to not go within thirty miles of it, as I have never heard of anyone successfully defending themselves with a jurisdiction claim.  Don't even go on the interstate near it.  The interstate is something like twelve or fifteen mikes outside of their jurisdiction, but they run it all day long.

Thirty miles between you and Brookside, always.

I don't remember this story, but...man....

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33103144/deaths-woman-2-year-old-son-san-diego-padres-petco-park-ruled-suicide-homicide

TL;DR:  the woman held her kid and jumped.  That's the verdict.  The early reports speculated loss of balance.  

It seems unlikely that this is over.  A tragic mess, no matter what.

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

I don't remember this story, but...man....

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33103144/deaths-woman-2-year-old-son-san-diego-padres-petco-park-ruled-suicide-homicide

TL;DR:  the woman held her kid and jumped.  That's the verdict.  The early reports speculated loss of balance.  

It seems unlikely that this is over.  A tragic mess, no matter what.

If the last sentence in that story is true though, this is a case of tragic(for the infant) stupidity(for the woman) rather than negligence or foul play.

16 minutes ago, Grailknight said:

If the last sentence in that story is true though, this is a case of tragic(for the infant) stupidity(for the woman) rather than negligence or foul play.

Yeah, the conclusion is at odds with the early reporting.  There's a wrongful death lawsuit that's been filed against the park.  If it's suicide?  Pretty sure the lawsuit has no chance whatsoever, so that has to be the first thing to challenge.  

On 1/19/2022 at 7:09 AM, Logan.1179 said:

My thoughts keep coming back to this, and the situation really makes my blood boil.  I sure hope that both the police chief and mayor get shown the door after the next round of local elections.

😠

1 hour ago, rravenwood said:

My thoughts keep coming back to this, and the situation really makes my blood boil.  I sure hope that both the police chief and mayor get shown the door after the next round of local elections.

😠

In the Coldspring, TX situation I mentioned back in the 1980s, the local government was happy because of the incoming money.  What shut down Humpy Parker & co. was the FBI, entering in force one day and arresting the entirety of the sheriff's department en bloc on federal civil rights violations.  I assume that perhaps multiple someones of importance who lived in nearby Houston (or the someones' family members, because Parker's crew preferentially pulled over cars with Houston rock radio station stickers on them) got victimized, and that caused  the attention of the federal authorities in the big city to be engaged.

6 hours ago, Cancer said:

“The total mass of plastics now exceeds the total mass of all living mammals,” says ecotoxicologist and study author Bethanie Carney Almroth.

I don't remember if we've posted this here;  mighta been in one of my FB groups....but entirely on point.  If it's a repeat, it's worth repeating.

https://theoceancleanup.com/