In other news...

tkdguy

13 minutes ago, L. Marcus said:

The only character named Gumby I knew of was the one from Monty Python. Without much charity I feel that that character has more in common with the average Fox News viewer than that Play-Doh spokesperson (or whatever it's supposed to be).

Gumby was much better on Saturday Night Live than when on his own show.

Bored people do truly insipid things.  Done...well, not anything THAT egregious, but pretty stupid.  And I can see it, sort of...the "what is this, no one cares about it!!!"  Yes, well...

Also reminds me of the horror stories from the auto industry, and the...oh, let's just say, stunts...that bored assembly line workers did from time to time.

The guard's just lucky he can't get anything more...but, that said, he'll never get a meaningful job again.

23 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

UPDATE: Authorities are saying head trauma

Of the seemingly-incidental kind.  Had to have some decent force, but still....  

I have a really terrible habit of smacking my shin against the (short) bedpost...much too often.  Hard, at times.  Makes ya go "oh u @*(#%&$@#   #$(&@#$    B*@#$@#$   IDIOT!!!"  But ignore after the pain reduces to a gentle throb.  Bruise lasts a long time.  But there's spots...I think particularly on the back of the head...where the bleeding would be similar...but doesn't have anywhere to go....

Ouch.  Sometimes the littlest things.....  

Meanwhile TMZ and the NY Post are reporting that Jeremy Giambi's death is suspected to be suicide.  

5 hours ago, Cancer said:

Since we have decided that billionaire rockets in absolutely no way contribute to pollution or other environmental concerns, can someone who is good with this sort of thing figure out the net thermal gain to our atmosphere from the resultant man-made comets? 

I am sure that people will _still_ not care, but it would be kind of nice just to have that data to point at.

My bias here is entirely personal.  As an astronomer ... well ... Remember the old theme song from Joss Whedon's 2002 TV series, Firefly?  "You can't take the sky from me"?  Well, actually, yes they can, and satellite constellations are how they do it.

22 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

I'm sympathetic to voice actors to some extent. But Futurama wouldn't keep getting canceled if it were making its network huge money and drawing huge weekly audiences. So there's limits on pay even if it's not clear what those limits might be.

There's a lot more expense to animating a sitcom than there is to have a coffeeshop set and film actors sitting on a sofa. So whatever Futurama might make, more of it's earnings is going to be chewed up in production costs than in a normal sitcom.

And honestly, they could likely find a voice actor who could do a very good Bender for half of whatever they initially offered DiMaggio. So trying to bring him back at all was a sop to fans rather than a strictly cost-effective business decision.

Are voice actors underpaid as a general rule? Yes?

Are they infinitely replaceable compared to normal actors? Yes.

Did they make DiMaggio an unfair offer? Completely unknown, from the information in the article.