In other news...

tkdguy

10 hours ago, Cancer said:

There is a Doctor Who episode in the making. 

PKS 2131-021 is a special type of black hole known as a blazar — basically, a supermassive black hole that happens to be pointing a jet of supercharged matter directly at Earth.

Yep, definite Doctor Who territory.

I think that's a misuse of the word "special".  There's lots and lots of supermassive black holes in the Universe, and a large number of them have active accretion disks around them.  There's nothing to impose a particular orientation on those, so some fraction of that large number will have their direction perpendicular to the disk -- and that direction is the direction that material jets come out of such a system -- pointed at us.  We discovered the phenomenon long before we understood it, and initially called these things "BL Lac objects" (BL Lac was the first one recognized), a name which has since morphed into a more generic and possibly more descriptive "blazars".  They look different from other supermassive black hole-plus-disk-plus-jet simply because the jet is pointed at us; in all other ways they seem to be the same sort of thing.  That's an accident of viewing angle, which to my mind doesn't make for "special".

36 minutes ago, Cancer said:

That would be me.  There is a horse face emoji (🐴) but the one needed for me is the opposite end.

There's a restaurant Lady P really likes that we don't have here in the Barren Desert Province, but they have back where my brother lives. One day my brother sent a picture of a meal from that restaurant to Lady P with the caption "Thinking of you". A few weeks later, we were at the Kentucky Horse Park. Lady P took a picture of the back end of one of the horse statues and sent it to my brother with the caption "Thinking of you". 

23 minutes ago, archer said:

Ever wonder if you're really crazy or not?

AI model detects mental disorders based on web posts

https://techxplore.com/news/2022-03-ai-mental-disorders-based-web.html

Ah, it's based on reddit. I should have known. The field of personality has been working on determining one's psychological type based upon Reddit posts for a few years now. Lots of readily available data there. 

3 hours ago, archer said:

Ever wonder if you're really crazy or not?

AI model detects mental disorders based on web posts

https://techxplore.com/news/2022-03-ai-mental-disorders-based-web.html

Well that's not special.

I can detect lunacy and racism just based on your facebook and twitter comments.

:lol:

5 hours ago, Starlord said:

*Contemplates creating a supervillain named Blazar*

But remember that you can only take so many points for Enraged complications.

My mind is coming up with dangerous to normals, but almost laughable against heroes.  (Split the dice in half, a la Red Pen, for the STUN as well as the BODY...norms have low enough defenses this wouldn't matter.)   Except that he's got a secret ally that helps him break out from whatever prison they try to stick him in, because the chaos he causes makes for such excellent cover for his own machinations.

I mean, with a name like Blazar, it's *impossible* to take him seriously, right?

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

And sometimes you don't even need that (said the obvious lunatic who lacks both twitter and facebook)

*not sure if you're telling me you're a lunatic racist or not....*

I kid, of course!  ;)

Eh-- I lack both Twitter and Facebook and pretty much any social media that isn't this board.

In spite of that, though, I've seen plenty of Twitter and facebook posts-- quite often right here on this board, so....

8 minutes ago, archer said:

You could name him:

Star Blazar

and give him a theme song.

Not a weabo; not even much of an anime fan (like anything else: there are things I like, and things I don't.  There are animes I like, and those that I don't).  Still, it needs saying:

As "iconic" as the Starblazers theme seems to be to a lot of people, I have always found the original Yamato theme to be.... I don't know... more profound (sounding)?  Perhaps it's because of the chanting nature; I don't know.  I just like it better.

:- /

My problem with "Blazar" as a character name is that it is way too close to "Blaze Starr", who was a RL stripper who was involved in an affair with one of the Long family while he was governor of Louisiana.  (Look her up in Wikipedia; I suspect a regular websearch might put you in NSFW pages.)

10 hours ago, Cancer said:

My problem with "Blazar" as a character name is that it is way too close to "Blaze Starr", who was a RL stripper who was involved in an affair with one of the Long family while he was governor of Louisiana.  (Look her up in Wikipedia; I suspect a regular websearch might put you in NSFW pages.)

From a Deadlands Noir LARP I was at set during Long's funeral...

"Huey had a hands-on approach to supporting local businesses..."

(and yes, the speaker was a brothel madam)