In other news...

tkdguy

21 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

So, is reading physically painful because of your eyes, or because the things you read (e.g. internet comments and politician statements) are making you bang your head against the desk in frustration?

The eyes, unfortunately. I'll spare you the details.

Reading these forums consumes much of my allotment for the day, so feel flattered that I consider y'all worth the attention.

Dean Shomshak

A non-profit pharmaceutical company is getting into the insulin business.

The drug company will provide three types of insulin, which total about 80% of insulin prescriptions in the United States. The products correspond to Lantus, Humalog and Novolog, and will be offered for no more than $30 per vial or $55 for a pack of insulin pens.

The insulin will not be available until the first part of 2024 when they expect to obtain approval from the Food and Drug Administration. In the meantime, the company will complete all clinical trials and meet all standards for FDA approval.

https://www.standard.net/news/health-news/2022/mar/09/company-to-make-insulin-more-affordable-in-utah/

I'm not an expert at the insulin crisis but the article goes into it a bit. But Biden in the State of the Union mentioned insulin was $300 per vial. 

So a company wanting to provide it for $30 per vial (before the local pharmacy's markup) would make a significant dent in the problem.

FDA fast-track anyone?

1 hour ago, archer said:

I'm not an expert at the insulin crisis but the article goes into it a bit. But Biden in the State of the Union mentioned insulin was $300 per vial. 

My wife is diabetic and insulin-dependent.  Her second pregnancy left her with diabetes, which is why we had no more kids.  I will gladly confirm that yes, insulin runs about three-hundred bucks per vial.

I can also tell you that it costs about ten dollars a vial to make.  

I won't get political, but a good chunk of those profits are used to fight regulation of prices.  > : [

1 hour ago, archer said:

So a company wanting to provide it for $30 per vial (before the local pharmacy's markup) would make a significant dent in the problem.

I would like to believe what they teach you in school:  supply and demand, competition, a competitor willing to hold prices down will bring down the prices of everyone else in the market.  Reality, however, has demonstrated otherwise.  The "problem guy" gets forced out, one way or another, or he learns to play ball.  No change happens.

1 hour ago, archer said:

FDA fast-track anyone?

I really hope not.  

We're good at making insulin.  Most industrialized nations are really good at making insulin.  But it has to be done correctly, or it can ruin a million lives in no time at all.

I want it to happen, but I want it to happen _properly_.

5 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

My wife is diabetic and insulin-dependent.  Her second pregnancy left her with diabetes, which is why we had no more kids.  I will gladly confirm that yes, insulin runs about three-hundred bucks per vial.

I can also tell you that it costs about ten dollars a vial to make.  

I won't get political, but a good chunk of those profits are used to fight regulation of prices.  > : [

I would like to believe what they teach you in school:  supply and demand, competition, a competitor willing to hold prices down will bring down the prices of everyone else in the market.  Reality, however, has demonstrated otherwise.  The "problem guy" gets forced out, one way or another, or he learns to play ball.  No change happens.

I really hope not.  

We're good at making insulin.  Most industrialized nations are really good at making insulin.  But it has to be done correctly, or it can ruin a million lives in no time at all.

I want it to happen, but I want it to happen _properly_.

Well, "fast track" doesn't have to mean "cutting corners". A huge amount of time is wasted waiting for the FDA to get around to looking at the data that's been collected then sitting on their decision before they allow the company to move to the next part of the process.

Bureaucratically it's more of a "move this item to the front of the line" and "do your damned job already rather than spending your time picking costumes for the FDA Halloween party".

I looked into the fast tracking of vaccines when that became a topic of conversation early in the pandemic. And there was typically huge slabs of time wasted waiting on the regulatory agency to do their job and waiting for the announcement after they'd completed their jobs (as opposed to the time spent actually doing that job once they started) and other huge slabs of time wasted because the company didn't put money behind getting large numbers of volunteers quickly so they could do their studies.

So there are ways to fast track without impacting the quality of the research.

"The "problem guy" gets forced out, one way or another, or he learns to play ball." 

Not that attempts won't be made. But I'd think it'd be extremely difficult to do that to a non-profit as opposed to a for-profit company. If the other companies can't squeeze your bottom line and make you susceptible to your shareholders ousting you, they've lost most of their non-regulatory leverage.

And with the administration being in sympathy with the goal of the non-profit, it'll be difficult to move the regulatory agencies against them

On 3/10/2022 at 6:02 PM, archer said:

A non-profit pharmaceutical company is getting into the insulin business.

The drug company will provide three types of insulin, which total about 80% of insulin prescriptions in the United States. The products correspond to Lantus, Humalog and Novolog, and will be offered for no more than $30 per vial or $55 for a pack of insulin pens.

The insulin will not be available until the first part of 2024 when they expect to obtain approval from the Food and Drug Administration. In the meantime, the company will complete all clinical trials and meet all standards for FDA approval.

https://www.standard.net/news/health-news/2022/mar/09/company-to-make-insulin-more-affordable-in-utah/

FDA fast-track anyone?

I'm Type 2, so fortunately I don't need insulin.  However, before in-person became taboo, I pretty regularly went to one of the diabetes education/support groups, and the costs for Lantus et al. were brought up.  Yes, it's obscenely inflated.  Same with EpiPens, for emergency allergic reaction treatments.  

But prescription drug pricing generally is...insane.  Just picked up the refill on a prescription toothpaste.  WAS covered by insurance before;  not today.  Same pharmacy, same insurance...but what does or does not get covered, or what does or does not require generic substitutions...that can change without notice.  (It'd be insane to try to give notice of ALL the changes to everyone, anyway.)

53 minutes ago, Logan.1179 said:

Everyone knows that the Mammal Measuring System or MMS is the world's 3rd most used measuring system behind the Metric system and the Imperial (or US) system.

A lesser know fact is that the MMS is also the 2nd most logical and accurate measuring system behind Metric.