In other news...

tkdguy

20 hours ago, death tribble said:

The USA could always bring back Prohibition. I mean Coronavirus is replicating Spanish Flu and that was 100 years ago.

I saw a cartoon with a guy standing next to his girlfriend who's dressed like a flapper.

She says to him, "Considering the pandemic and the world war, I thought I'd get a jump on the Roaring Twenties."

I do not condone violence as a problem solving method, generally speaking.

But if you make a joke about someone's medical condition, you deserve a mouthful of knuckles.

Want to make fun of me? Not a big deal. I work with teenagers everyday. But make fun of a member of my family? Let me introduce you to my close personal friend, Papa Bear.

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

I do not condone violence as a problem solving method, generally speaking.

But if you make a joke about someone's medical condition, you deserve a mouthful of knuckles.

Want to make fun of me? Not a big deal. I work with teenagers everyday. But make fun of a member of my family? Let me introduce you to my close personal friend, Papa Bear.

I get what you're saying, but this was a career ending maneuver on the scale of a Kevin Spacey or Mel Gibson.  Will Smith committed a felony with ten million witnesses.  The Black community is hyperaware of how they are presented in the media; they will not support Smith after giving Fox News their headline story for the next 24 hours.  The Academy obviously cannot support stars assaulting other stars during their crown jewel event, ratings notwithstanding.  I understand Smith will lose his Oscar.  Jada won't support Smith after he humiliated her on live national TV.  (Given all her affairs it's not clear whether she ever supported him.)  The only person in Smith's corner is Chris Rock, who has reportedly declined to press charges.

Jada obviously didn't think the joke was funny, but neither did she flee the theater in tears.  Honestly if Smith had done nothing, Chris Rock would probably have been destroyed on social media for that joke.  Instead he has earned admiration for professionalism under fire.

I would cordially disagree with Old Man. Yes there was physical contact which counts as assault. I would think that more people would be supportive of Will—well I hope. My hope is that people would interpret the action as a husband defending his wife’s honour, but such chivalry is not seen favourably today, as it’s perception is ‘old fashioned’. Will’s action - for better or worse - has shone a light on Jada’s hair condition, and put it in the spotlight where Hollywood and/or the Black Community can rally around to support fundraising for research. Rock made a similar joke at Jada’s expense a few years ago at another award show. Potentially, this “joke” could contribute towards mental health issues. Obviously Will though enough was enough.

My 2c, which is in Aussie dollars, so worth less than Old Man’s. 

Wow.  

I think they were both SERIOUSLY out of line.  Rock's joke was disgusting.  Smith was out of line, but what do you want him to do?  You could see it in Jada's look;  that HURT her.

Remember when Terrell Owens, with the Niners, caught the TD pass, then ran back and put the ball on the Cowboys star at midfield?  One of the Cowboys ran in from the sidelines and smashed into him?  It's similar.  I'm not going to condone Smith's action, but Rock played instigator.

It's a bad thing all around.  Violence bad; picking on people's issues or shortcomings bad.  Doing sething about bad; letting it ride bad.

Bad.  There is no good way out of a,situation like that no matter what the sideline observers say.  The wife, to me, anyway, looked clearly hurt.  Demonize me all you want, but I get it, Will.  I would have done the same thing. (Well, not _quite- the same: I would have been in way more trouble because I would not have had the restraint to use an open hand, I don't think.)

For my,money, Wil' biggest mistake was _after_ that, when he started thugging it up with 'git my name outcho mouth' and 'git my,wife name outcho mouth.'   Dude, you slapped him.  There is an old-fashioned (very old fashioned) sensibility that let's me take this as a justice of sorts for hurting your wife's emotional state.  We're good.  But you cant really sit there and continue to make demands (especially stupid ones) and expect to do anything but look worse.

We Will never know what was going to happen in the moment, but I got the impression that Rock was making some sort of attempt at apology or peace while Will was getting thugged up- hie certainly had the posture of contrition, anyway.

Thw best thong for Will to have spne after that was just sit there silently.  He could look as austere or cold as he wanted, but to sit and shut up, regardless of what was said afterwards.

What he did instead was give Rock no opportunity to adress his misstep, and left him,with no other option than to make light of it and let the show roll on.  Making light of it just points out that Big Whole slapped him like a little,girl might do, then sat down and tried to be all threatening about the fact that he was willing to slap you again.

I dont think it is possible to look more ridiculous than he looks now, just because he couldn't sit there and shut up.

And because he slapped a guy, of course.

Now at the beginning, I said that there was no good way out of this.  That's because there wasn't, once the joke has been made (I really hope that at least one person who sees her reaction to the "joke" develops an intimate understanding of why I do NOT use sarcasm anymore.  That would be a nice thing to see come,out of this.  Alas, I don't think that is goinf to happen.)

Rock hurt his wife.  Will can either do what he did: publicly demonstrate an absolute intollerance of his doing so (yes: I am well-aware that there are more approved-of methods than slapping a guy), or just sit there and watch her get hurt.

Dude, that is a _crap_ place to be in, and I can tell you that I _can"t_ be in the "watch my wife get hurt,and sit there" camp.  Yes: slappong a guy wasn't the most correct tjing he could have done, but _Dude_, I _get_ it, and I can forgive it oretty easily, even if I was the guy getting slapped.  "Oops.  I screwed up pretty good."

On the other side of the token we have the ..... Damn, I do _not_ want to talk politics, but it just happens that the other example involved a politician.  By all accounts, the former "guy" onsukted the wife,of a lesser,guy, _to_ the lesser,guy, and the laser,guy just _took_ it.

That was a couole od yeats back, and the jokes,and the memes at the expense of the lesser are _still_ coming!  _No one_ thought that was appropriate.  And personally?  Had I been the lesser,guy?  The former guy wwoukd _still_ be straining his Depends for errant teeth.

I _get_ it, Will.  I cant say it qas the best thing, but for my own sentiments, it was better than watching someone hurt her and doing nothing.  But you went too far, too stupid.  :(

But I can also see where Smith looked at Rock's reaction, after the slap...and it was surprised, OK, but not apologetic.

And can you expect Smith to have calmed down, at all, just in the short walk back to his seat?  

For Smith...it's customary for the Best Actor to hand out the Best Actress award next year.  Fine, take that away.

For Rock...ban him from presenting generally for a year or two.  

So, this year Shaq and Stef Curry win Oscars for a documentary about hall of famer Louisa Harris amd LeBron James 'wins' a Razzie for Space Jam... 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/shaquille-o-neal-wins-academy-025113603.html

https://sports.yahoo.com/le-bron-james-wins-razzie-awards-for-worst-actor-on-screen-couple-in-space-jam-a-new-legacy-163731330.html

1 hour ago, death tribble said:

Bruce Willis to quit acting due to brain disorder

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-60934576

Verbal aphasia makes it very difficult to communicate effectively.

For me it isn't very predictable. 

Sometimes I say precisely the opposite of what I mean to say and don't notice. Sometimes I notice and correct myself.

Sometimes I use the wrong word (often a completely unrelated word) rather than the right word. Sometimes I notice and sometimes I don't.

If I tell a story about three different people, I'll use their names interchangeably throughout the course of the story which makes it almost impossible for anyone to figure out what happened.

Sometimes I forget a word that I'm going to say in the middle of a sentence and also forget every possible synonym for it. My record for forgetting words and synonyms was around 45 minutes when my niece's apartment burned and I was trying to tell my wife what happened. 

I forgot my niece's name, the word "niece", my brother's name, the word "brother", my sister-in-law's name, and the term "sister-in-law". That flustered me so much that I couldn't get out the word "fire" even though I remembered it. My wife ended up asking me if it was an emergency that she had to deal with right then and when I communicated it wasn't, she had me go sit down until I regained my command of the language enough to not be frustrated.

I can't imagine what kind of hell that must be for an actor who depends on his verbal communication skills to get paid appearance fees and land roles.