In other news...

tkdguy

On 4/20/2022 at 12:38 AM, Michael Hopcroft said:

I disagree. The G.I. Joe comic was probably even worse.

The jingoistic/propagandistic nature of that series led many of the major animation writers at the time who would normally work on a show like that to refuse it point blank.  That and the need to write a show about a war where nobody ever died led to some really bizarre results. Famously, an entire episode (possibly the best in the entire series, not that that says much) was built around the hoary old joke that ends "I'm da Viper! I've come to Vipe da Vindows!" And of course, it was never entirely clear what Cobra was and what aims, if any, they had.

GI Joe was awesome but Special Missions was even better. The problem with the television show was that the 80's standards board would not allow death to be shown except off screen. One of the episodes had Joes losing and mostly dead, cobra running the world, and our Joes going there and helping the surviving Joes to reignite their freedom.

CES  

4 hours ago, csyphrett said:

GI Joe was awesome but Special Missions was even better. The problem with the television show was that the 80's standards board would not allow death to be shown except off screen. One of the episodes had Joes losing and mostly dead, cobra running the world, and our Joes going there and helping the surviving Joes to reignite their freedom.

CES  

I wonder how many people would have found COBRA an improvement, especially those living under other, more brutal strongmen? If given a choice between Vladimir Putin and Cobra Commander, who would be the better ruler?

7 hours ago, csyphrett said:

The problem with the television show was that the 80's standards board would not allow death to be shown except off screen.

Not sure if that's a problem for an afternoon cartoon intended to sell toys to young children.  But it did create some absurd writing situations.  The A-Team had the same issues.

On 4/21/2022 at 1:17 PM, Michael Hopcroft said:

I wonder how many people would have found COBRA an improvement, especially those living under other, more brutal strongmen? If given a choice between Vladimir Putin and Cobra Commander, who would be the better ruler?

Cobra Commander. He has a weather machine to prevent climate change.

CES

2 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

So they're defining "carnivorous" as meaning only red meat? Not fish or poultry?

As an expression, "more carnivorous" strikes me as being up there with "extra virgin" and "jumbo shrimp." :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say that. Pork is the other white meat, after all! ;) 

“The rapid change in the saltwater crocodile population, she said, was a success story.

"This is an incredible recovery, it's something extremely difficult to do, and it's something the Northern Territory can be proud of," she said.

"We helped recover a top predator population and live alongside it."”

#TerritorianTough #TerritorianPride

#LivingWithApexPredators 

Anyone want to come visit?