In other news...

tkdguy

I would like very much to buy that trooper a drink or two. I can't imagine keeping such a secret, and not giving it away with a grave countenance or open weeping, for an entire night. What a back-breaking burden to carry, even for one night.

Outside: "Happy Halloween!"

Inside: "Oh God the trick we have for you poor kids."

Let's see. The Germans, Swedes, and Polish are ticked at their leaders bringing in all the refugees.

Not wholly correct, at least for our part. There is a big majority backing the liberal asylum policy -- what people are mostly upset with, is that the authorities have been caught with their pants down regarding the scale of the stream of refugees. True, the border checkpoints down south are active again, but only to screen out those just transiting through Sweden to Norway and Finnland. This measure has barely made a dent in the number of people crossing over.

As for the right-wing semi-nazis of the Sweden Democrats who went to Greece to distributing leaflets smearing Sweden to refugees -- I have nothing polite to say about them. And for the literal terrorists that torch potential and actual refuges ... :bmk:

Daesh (They prefer to be called ISIS, which is a good reason to call them Daesh as any, massmurdering ####heads would suit better ) is claiming responsibility and has issued a statement for the Paris attacks.

I don't see France being as intimidated by this as they will be righteously furious. I hope it doesn't bring out some of the uglier things 9/11 brought out in our own government (The inappropriately labelled "Patriot Act" for one), or a new wave of blacklashes against French muslims (Most of whom, I believe, would be horrified by this). I think France is very likely going to step up its actions rather than back down. The term "reap the whirlwind" comes to mind.

Time will tell, but for now, if any one on these boards is the praying kind, you may want to send up a few on behalf of the loved ones who have lost someone from this, and for a speedy recovery to the survivors.

Shocking and sad. It would be a poor and bad thing to make French jokes for the time being.

The football international between England and France is going ahead as it gives Britain the opportunity to share condolences with our neighbour.

I shut down a co worker who started a French surrender joke.   NOT funny, and never was historically appropriate. 

Oh lord. There's some folks on MSNBC talking about how video games (like MMORPGs) and apps to encrypt are making transfering secret messages very easy for terrorists and the like and Daesh might have used something like that for the Paris attacks. The media is talking about how the Intelligence community is talking about how they need to push into these venues to ensure our safety, and the reporters nodding sheeplike not realizing what that means.

In short, we're about to kill even more privacy of your average citizen in order to 'catch the bad guys'. 

The NSA officials must be giggling like school girls

Que conspiracy that the terrorist actions are staged government power grabs. 

I'll say write your congressmen; mine already votes against all this stuff. 

Oh, I know it happened, and i know the ####wads of Daesh are the ones who did it. No doubt.

But I fear there are vultures that are going to pick at the bones of the fallen for their own agendas, and that disgusts me.

They have to blame Snowden because nobody knows how the thing was planned and they are thrashing around for answers. They are assuming that the operation was carried out with radio contact and so forth. The fact of the matter is this could be a set of independent groups given different targets and told to carry it out. There would be nothing to surveil electronically except for phone calls and if you didn't have number to tap, then you got nothing.

Like the stingray that the FBI loaned to local police. Track like 50k calls in its radius I think, but if you don't have the number, the call you want  just comes in like all the rest, so the machine is only good if you have a start up number.

Surveillance and electronic intrusion is worthless until you have something as a starting point. These politicians either don't know that which I find hard to believe after Watergate, or willfully ignorant to make themselves look good before they know what's going on.

CES