In other news...

tkdguy

Better still, that serves to absolve the real responsible party from having been caught with their pants down.

It'll be grimly amusing to watch GOP congresscritters from Florida start crucifying climate scientists for negligence after everything south of Winter Haven vanishes under waves.

Rumor has it that this is why the NSA stopped pushing so hard for widespread surveillance--it hasn't done anything useful.  Not because of any moral or Constitutional problem, of course, but because of budgetary concerns.  Snooping on everyone's comms 24/7 is expensive. 

That's why the current push is to make the service providers do it, because they are unaccountable private entities with their own deep pockets.

Better still, that serves to absolve the real responsible party from having been caught with their pants down.

It'll be grimly amusing to watch GOP congresscritters from Florida start crucifying climate scientists for negligence after everything south of Winter Haven vanishes under waves.

Almost everything. Bok Tower Gardens is to the southeast of Winter Haven, and it's on one of the highest points on the peninsula*.

*Iron Mountain, 295 ft above sea level. Should make for a beautiful island.

Well, in the state embarrassment situation... 

Tennessee along with several  other states is refusing Syrian refugees now

I can understand being nervous. I can understand wanting detailed vetting...

but good lord. If someone wants to attack a particular state, it's not like the state border is going to deflect them like a forcefield. They can drive in any ####ing time just like anyone else

Well, in the state embarrassment situation... 

Tennessee along with several  other states is refusing Syrian refugees now

I can understand being nervous. I can understand wanting detailed vetting...

but good lord. If someone wants to attack a particular state, it's not like the state border is going to deflect them like a forcefield. They can drive in any ####ing time just like anyone else

Same here with McCrory. How do they think vetting is going to be done? 

Didn't we used to be the country that asked people to send us their homeless and poor?

CES

I'm convinced that whoever is leading whatever Daesh wants to call itself this week is utterly mad. In the sense that he has no sense of politics and doesn't realize that ticking off every nation on Earth rarely ends well.

The Russian plane bombing was especially stupid. Putin was doing him a favor by bombing his enemies. So what does he do? He blows up Putin's jetliner and now Putin is his enemy. France had not done very much against him, so he does what he did and now France is aggressively bombing him and just about ready to invade.

Daesh is unlikely to attract allies, but you need to have at least someone who isn't your sworn enemy. Even Osama bin Laden, megalomanic as he was, realized that (if nothing else because he needed a continuing supply of money to fund al-Qaeda). To make matters worse, Daesh is attempting to build an actual state that must somehow be governed, while seeming to be acting solely out of nihilism.

In Steve Long's hometown:

Fleeing War, a Syrian Family Makes a New Home in North Carolina

A family of seven, driven from their country by violence, is building a new life in Greensboro with help from the U.S. government, resettlement workers, and volunteers.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/02/150227-syria-refugees-resettlement-north-carolina-cultures-war/

I'm convinced that whoever is leading whatever Daesh wants to call itself this week is utterly mad. In the sense that he has no sense of politics and doesn't realize that ticking off every nation on Earth rarely ends well.

The Russian plane bombing was especially stupid. Putin was doing him a favor by bombing his enemies. So what does he do? He blows up Putin's jetliner and now Putin is his enemy. France had not done very much against him, so he does what he did and now France is aggressively bombing him and just about ready to invade.

Daesh is unlikely to attract allies, but you need to have at least someone who isn't your sworn enemy. Even Osama bin Laden, megalomanic as he was, realized that (if nothing else because he needed a continuing supply of money to fund al-Qaeda). To make matters worse, Daesh is attempting to build an actual state that must somehow be governed, while seeming to be acting solely out of nihilism.

It's an apocalyptic cult. They believe the End Times are Nigh. They are not interested in setting up diplomatic ties with anyone -- virtually all other Muslims are deemed apostates and ought to be killed on sight.

Even if you don't go with the apocalyptic cult (which they really kind of are) you could say that they're operating out of the AQ playbook.  Hard to argue that AQ wasn't an influential organization.  And ISIS poached a lot of management-level AQ when they were still in startup mode.

I swear, if I could take my choice of three mountains from the Smokies and transplant them to a new state, I'd be highly tempted somedays...

Idiot Lawmaker in TN wants to round up Syrians

No, that's not the actual title, but it fits. Fortunately at least others are going "WTF?" 

Yeah, those Japanese-American internment camps were such a historical bright spot for us back in the day, let's do something similar now.

I swear, if I could take my choice of three mountains from the Smokies and transplant them to a new state, I'd be highly tempted somedays...

Idiot Lawmaker in TN wants to round up Syrians

No, that's not the actual title, but it fits. Fortunately at least others are going "WTF?" 

Yeah, those Japanese-American internment camps were such a historical bright spot for us back in the day, let's do something similar now.

L. Marcus' observation sadly fits just as well for this brand of self-righteous fundies, this time on the Christian end of the spectrum.

They believe the End Times are Nigh. They are not interested in setting up diplomatic ties with anyone

L. Marcus' observation sadly fits just as well for this brand of self-righteous fundies, this time on the Christian end of the spectrum.

Actually, if I'm reading this right, it's not a fundie problem, it's it's a "some politicians are idiots" problem and use the bible without having read it...

at least one group of Evangelicals is saying that Jesus was a refugee