In other news...

tkdguy

I figured it would be about the Catalan separatist movement.   IIRC a BBC piece on it said that if the region were to secede, it would be in violation of EU law, and unable to join the EU...

SOunds like the Spanish Constitution was specifically written to prevent secession.   

Philosophically, why should they NOT secede?   Sounds like they feel used by the rest of the country.  Now, it sounds like the rest of the country would have a third world economy without them...

Hmm, some of the arguments sound like what I remember from some of the Canadians, about how the National government took most of the proceeds from the Oil wealth in their province...   

Money.   nasty stuff...

I have never followed Rap/hip-hop, there are only a tiny minority of the songs I have heard that I can stand.    However, Wu-Tang Clan always seemed interesting, like they had a group personality that might be fun to know.    

The idea that they would print ONE copy of an album and auction it off almost blows my mind.    I suppose it might have been a fun novelty, and simpler for them than putting it into normal distribution, but...

It almost seems like a F-U to their fans.   "We made this album, but only one person will likely ever get to hear it..."               I suppose I can see a point to the "cannot make commercial use" of the album clause, but...      Maybe they had a reason that would make it not seem kind of douchey...

Oh, stupidity comes from all sides here

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/education/wp/2015/12/17/furor-over-arabic-assignment-leads-virginia-school-district-to-close-friday/

First, the teacher did not think things through. It's one thing to appreciate a religion and learn about it, it's another to have students write out a proclamation of faith declaring there is no God but Allah and Mohamed is his prophet. I'm sure if Junior were forced to stand up and recite the Lord's prayer and then ask Jesus to come into his heart in class as a project ... some secularist parents would be rightly upset.

Bad call imo.

But oh, the blowback matched that stupid, surpassed it, and ran with it...

threats? Really? Photos of beheaded bodies...maybe you're trying to show what some extremists have done in the name of Islam but that's kind of like saying sending gory pictures of the Spanish Inquisition everytime someone talks about Catholics... mostly what you're doing is scaring the heck out of a well meaning teacher who didn't think things through. You may not be a terrorist yourself when you make a threat, but you could arguably be terrorizing someone.

Now some parents want a teacher fired, the school probably still isn't sure what it did wrong (oh, they'll say they understand but after the threats I'm sure many there are now dismissing as just neanderthals at work instead of 'huh, some could see that as indoctrination I suppose'...) and some students are defending their teacher on facebook in a big bruhahaha that has gone all wrong.

Oy.