In other news...

tkdguy

After 28 years on TV Aussie movie critic duo Margaret & David are stepping down at end of the year, AtTheMovies not returning in 2015. *sad*

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/television/margaret-and-david-leaving-at-the-movies-final-episode-to-air-on-december-9/story-fni0cc2a-1227060192449?nk=910f7c433abb6dd71803c1c014dbab2c

So the Ebola outbreak is projected to reach anywhere from 550,000 to 1.4 million cases in the next four months.  With a 70% mortality rate.

So ... what is to stop Boko Haram from injecting someone with the virus a few minues before putting them on a plane to, say, New York, or Paris, or Sao Paolo, or Manila?

1) Boko Haram is more into money, like human trafficking or drugs. They wouldn't bother with anything this expensive (airfare, bribes) with no clear means of making money.

2) The United States wouldn't fare as badly with a couple of people showing up in airports with the disease.  Our infrastructure is way better for finding the disease and isolating the victims.  Maybe not as good as Canada but plenty enough better than Sierra Leone.

So ... what is to stop Boko Haram from injecting someone with the virus a few minues before putting them on a plane to, say, New York, or Paris, or Sao Paolo, or Manila?

They'd have to do it somewhere besides Africa as I believe most of the direct flights have been suspended.

Otherwise, nothing really. But I doubt it would spread as quickly here. It's much easier to get the word out and if a case of real Ebola showed up I bet the civilian population would be unusually needful of any government quarantine or curfew.

Also, there's the little detail that you would have to somehow get the virus, and then inject somebody without infecting yourself or your friends: not a risk most people would want to take. A jihadi might be willing to accept glorious death blowing themselves up in the middle of a crowd of enemies: dying slowly by internally dissolving while knowing that your friends and family were going to go the same way, not so much.

Biological warfare is a bit like juggling chainsaws while they are running: it's a cool trick if you can pull it off, but the risk of a messy accident is always high.

cheers, Mark

Also, there's the little detail that you would have to somehow get the virus, and then inject somebody without infecting yourself or your friends: not a risk most people would want to take. A jihadi might be willing to accept glorious death blowing themselves up in the middle of a crowd of enemies: dying slowly by internally dissolving while knowing that your friends and family were going to go the same way, not so much.

Biological warfare is a bit like juggling chainsaws while they are running: it's a cool trick if you can pull it off, but the risk of a messy accident is always high.

cheers, Mark

my concern is that if the infected numbers reach over 500k, it will be a lot harder to prevent it spreading without cutting off whole areas from all outside contact. 

I know that first world nations have a lot better basic support systems, but iirc there are relatively few total isolation beds available in any country.