In other news...

tkdguy

To be fair, they do believe they tested another nuke, just not that it was a full on H-bomb.

Yeah, it shows up as a magnitude 5.1 earthquake, in North Korea, very shallow. I have not seen further analysis of the seismic data.

... oooooooooonly a factor of 880 above the legal limit? Just because they changed water supply? Was it within legal limit before?

Dear politician types:

There are a few things dealt with by the governmental sector ... like public utilities ... where real, actual physics and therefore technical competence matter. I recognize that you are not equipped to recognize that anything more than a**-kissing and payola can ever matter (much less have anything like said technical competence), but in these special cases, they do. Before going into such a role, take a class so that you might actually be able to fake it long enough to pass the blame to an underling.

Cheers,

Dr. Cancer

BTW, the water changeover happened after a state-appointed emergency manager took over in Flint.

To quote the Detroit Free Press:

Michigan's emergency manager law, already highly controversial because it was rejected by voters in 2012 but reinstated by Republican lawmakers less than six weeks later, is under fresh scrutiny in light of the lead contamination of Flint's drinking water.

Flint was under the control of a state-appointed emergency manager when it began drawing water from the Flint River as a cost-saving measure last year. Tests show the corrosive nature of the river water caused lead in the pipes that deliver it to homes and other structures to leach into the drinking water, causing it to exceed federal limits for lead — which can cause permanent brain damage in children.

There's now universal agreement that the city's switch to Flint River water was a mistake without necessary safeguards, such as adding anticorrosion materials to the water before it was pumped to homes through the lead pipes to help prevent leaching.

But there's no consensus about whether the bad choice was one that could have been made by elected leaders in any cash-strapped city, or whether the Flint debacle is an indictment of Public Act 436, which Gov. Rick Snyder signed into law in December 2012, just weeks after voters rejected its earlier incarnation, Public Act 4 of 2011.

Snyder and other proponents said the revamped law gave financially distressed cities more options, control and financial support. Critics, including the Stand up for Democracy group that worked to repeal the earlier law, said it was an equally onerous example of state overreach.

"Hey, they're mostly poor people; we're probably reducing unemployment and the number of people on welfare!  What's not to love?"  :stupid:

Also BTW, they were originally getting their water from Detroit.  Yeah, Motor City water was cleaner.

And they switched back to getting water from Detroit back in October.  While I happen to agree with the bulk of the article posted by Hermit, I find it interesting how it was carefully worded to completely bypass that.  Though to be fair, I read another article that said that "there are concerns that lead problems persist due to damage the corrosive river water caused to the water distribution system."

Also in fairness, I see that the (now ex-) emergency manager says the changeover was actually decided by the mayor and city council 7 months before the emergency manager took over.

What the fiddlesticks is wrong with Michigan? It's like moving into the wasteland post apocalyptic future without the rest of us.

It's part of the Omnicorp Robocop 15 year plan

Sounds like Bolo has more details (And fairer cover ) than the one I found :)

One of their demands is the shutdown on the reserve and the uncodnitional right to graze cattle, farm and mine there. To Hell with geese and ducks!

Ranchers also seem to want to make every apex predator in the West extinct so they don't lose their precious cattle.

As I live in an area where apex predators have been re-introduced, and my wife saw two of them 50 yards from our house, I have more sympathy for the Ranchers than you do.   

Not for these morons occupying the facility, but until they actually harm someone, law enforcement can afford to  be patient.   I wonder if this is grounds for insurrection charges?

BTW, the water changeover happened after a state-appointed emergency manager took over in Flint.

To quote the Detroit Free Press:

Don't forget that the Michigan governor Snyder pointedly ignored Flint's requests for financial assistance in the years leading up to this, then declared a financial emergency for Flint the day that the Democratic mayor won reelection.  Using the emergency declaration, Snyder dissolved the Flint city council and removed the mayor, and his handpicked emergency managers promptly gutted all public services and sold off publicly owned property to private entities.  Flint's deficit situation proceeded to get worse.

do you eat Beef?   

Yes, but unlike them I pay for my food.

They want to avoid paying for their grazing. I'm not really keen on taking over homes or businesses or government buildings - and I kind of doubt these guys are really hurting financially. Bundy is the son of a wealthy rancher who's daddy decided he didn't need to pay rent on the land he grazed on for 21 years. And when the political pressure hit got his confiscated cattle back. 

They are rushing to the defense of ranchers who were (I believe) convicted of Arson. 

They're assholes. And that's about as kind as I'll be. They're also idiots. As they've managed to make themselves foolish and weak. 

Yes, but unlike them I pay for my food.

They want to avoid paying for their grazing. I'm not really keen on taking over homes or businesses or government buildings - and I kind of doubt these guys are really hurting financially. Bundy is the son of a wealthy rancher who's daddy decided he didn't need to pay rent on the land he grazed on for 21 years. And when the political pressure hit got his confiscated cattle back. 

They are rushing to the defense of ranchers who were (I believe) convicted of Arson. 

They're assholes. And that's about as kind as I'll be. They're also idiots. As they've managed to make themselves foolish and weak. 

I already stated my opinion of the goons, but ranchers in general are a different story.

I already stated my opinion of the goons, but ranchers in general are a different story.

I should clarify that I didn't mean I dislike ranchers in general, just the turds in question.

We buy our beef from local ranchers who aren't assclowns.

I still like tortoises better than ranchers on two principles:

1. Animals have less capacity for asshattery than humans as a rule, and most ranchers are human.

B. Ranchers are too stringy for my tastes.