In other news...

tkdguy

Whew... with all the stuff going on, I'm not sure many Americans are realizing what's going on in Hong Kong

http://news.yahoo.com/hong-kong-leader-refuses-resign-offers-talks-protesters-023520354--sector.html

I have wondered since the handover, how long til a bloodbath? I fear this might be the challenge Beijing cannot tolerate. The party has no tolerance for actual challenges to their power and control, I fear.

I have wondered since the handover, how long til a bloodbath? I fear this might be the challenge Beijing cannot tolerate. The party has no tolerance for actual challenges to their power and control, I fear.

I too am just waiting for the crackdown. I hope it never comes and HK is allowed to remain democratic, but fat chance.

Ah, end of an era...

Man, I remember joyfully wasting some hours as a kid on Saturday mornings. I resented the heck out of Jimmy Carter for his tendency to use that time for his public speaking which interuptted it. ;)  My mother would tell me that if it wouldn't kill me.

Then Reagan got elected and interuppted later in the day on her talk shows and soaps. HA! Take that mom

;)

Police have clashed with the protesters a few times. Arrests have been made. But I hope the events from Tiannamen Square aren't repeated here.

They probably will be, because it worked so well last time. Whether it works just as well this time is another matter.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary pessimistically suspects it will

I gripe about the trouble state of many police, how far too many act like they're at war with citizens rather than protecting them. The amount of corruption or deception involved in many police stories is alarming...

and then you run into good men in blue like this one who make you remember not to dwell always on the negative.

http://kplr11.com/2014/10/07/police-officer-buys-mom-a-car-seat-instead-of-giving-her-a-ticket/

If I had a hat on, I'd tip it

To keep with the topic of the Ebola epidemic.  Here are some interesting news reports that trickled in in the past week or so.

http://www.health24.com/Medical/infectious-diseases/Ebola/Ebola-victim-rises-from-the-dead-in-LIberia-20141007-2

and this is not an isolated case:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/ebola-victims-african-village-rise-4320414

I read this story shortly after it "broke" but none of the mainstream news sites touched this story. (of course) but eventually a website printed the story along with a supposed picture of the formerly deceased.

http://huzlers.com/breaking-news-ebola-victim-rises-dead-africa-fear-zombie-apocalypse/

But then this story is debunked.

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/truth-behind-ebola-zombies-victims-rising-dead-just-hoax-videos-610661

But actually, it's only the photo that is a hoax...with the website that posted it apparently taking it from a shot in World War Z.  The original story about the villagers supposedly resurrected stands thus far undebunked as far as my google skills can manage.

Obviously we know whats happening here.  Doctors are so overwhelmed with this epidemic, many ebola victims are staying home and dying quietly.  And apparently in some of these cases, the victims are presumed dead prematurely, only to awaken before burial. Though I can understand villagers freaking out over something like that.  It goes to show you how far some websites will go for hits.  It's sad that people will exploit these tragedies for something that ephemeral.

"Undebunked" simply means that nobody is actively going out, and wasting time in the middle of a genuine health emergency checking for people who probably don't exist in villages that probably don't exist. Proving that this didn't happen in the madhouse that is currently Liberia is not only really, really hard, but actively dangerous. So don't expect any actual debunking, any time soon. Also, in the same vein, don't expect much evidence supporting it either.

You could say the same for the  published articles that Ebola is being used by Liberals to destroy religious Africans, or that it's a US DoD project being tested on Africans or that the IMF is using Ebola to force African governments to accept austerity plans. There are any number of kooky Ebola conspiracy theories and oddball articles in circulation. Basically, anything that comes out of the Evangelical garbage press machine should automatically be assumed to be false, unless it's been validated elsewhere (not just now, but at any time), and the "rising from the dead" story is a good example of this. It's been circulating in the evangelical nonsenseosphere for a while - but once it got picked up by the mainstream press it was debunked in a day or so.

That said, it has to be admitted that it is at least plausible: healthcare systems in these countries are rudimentary and they are falling apart under the stress. People are afraid to approach potential ebola cases (which is fair enough: the Liberian man who died recently in the US was apparently infected when he helped a pregnant woman to hospital) and sick people are afraid to go to hospital "because people are dying there" - which is true. I had an experience along the lines of this story, during a much smaller ebola outbreak in DR Congo about 8 years ago - a man, living alone caught ebola. When the response team arrived they were told he was dead (and since he had no family in the village, the body had simply been left in his house), and in fact he was lying quite still, crammed in between his bed and the wall. He sure as hell looked dead, but actually was just unconscious. I've also had experience of cases of people who it was claimed had ebola and were "dying" but who in fact had malaria and recovered just fine.

cheers, Mark

This makes me sad.  I was a fiend for cartoons.  Saturday morning was my sabbath.  And yes, the bowl of brightly colored and artificially flavored sugar-rocks was an essential part of the experience.  

Two bowls a day of Fruity Pebbles probably damaged my brain and Body.