In other news...

tkdguy

Hopefully. But I notice that religions are far more likely to schism than to merge.

Attempting to merge them is likely to just result in yet another sect.

And I think "sect" is a great word to say especially in the plural.

Lucius Alexander

The Temple of the Palindromedary welcomes all denominations - anything from the one to the one hundred dollar bill

Hopefully. But I notice that religions are far more likely to schism than to merge.

In my own tradition, Assemblies of God, we had a reconciliation with the black Pentecostal groups in 1994. In 1948, the Pentecostal Fellowship of North America was created. That fellowship was composed only of white Pentecostal groups. In 1994, it was dissolved and replaced with the Pentecostal/Charismatic Churches of North America. The replacement was specifically to address the error of excluding our black Pentecostal and Charismatic brethren.

We are gathered here in Memphis, Tennessee, to return to our roots and to recapture the initiative of the Spirit. This will be a time of repentance for the sins of the past. This will be a time of forgiveness as we rely upon the wonderful grace of our loving Heavenly Father and mirror that grace in our relationships with one another. The time has come for reconciliation! The time has come to recapture our heritage! We gather here as the children of God and heirs of the twentieth century Pentecostal/charismatic renewal of the church. Our Father has called us to unity. - from an address of Bishop B. E. Underwood, Chairman of the PFNA, October, 1994

The churches are still separate in governance, but we cooperate more now.

Hey Jeff, that link immediately above points back to this thread.

My own on-topic contribution: Everyone here is a Neanderthal mongrel, and we are still paying for it.

Some modern humans with variants of Neanderthal DNA may have an increased risk of depression and heart problems, among other maladies, according to findings published in Science. Researchers say that the genetic mixture between Neanderthals and humans may have been helpful in adjusting to new environments, but that those variants may not be so helpful any more. "There was, and still is, a lingering cost of having this admixture," said evolutionary geneticist John Capra, an author of the study.

link