In other news...

tkdguy

Nearsightedness usually means that glasses are needed for distance vision. Distant images are focused in front of the retina, and are therefore blurred when it gets to the retina. Reading glasses, especially for folks over 40, are usually associated with presbyopia, which is characterized by an inability to focus on close-up objects, probably due to the lens and associated muscles changing over time. The two are not mutually exclusive; it's possible to have myopia and presbyopia at the same time (which may delay the need for reading glasses).

I got reading glasses last year for presbyopia, mainly because I was having trouble with very tiny print, or in lower light levels*. They are single-vision, as my distance vision is actually very good (about 20/15), and does not need correction.

*Page numbers in the D&D 5e PHB were almost invisible before the glasses, due to a combination of low contrast between the numbers and the background image, and generally lower light levels at the gaming table.

I got my reading glasses a few years ago, presbyopia too. Still not used to the dang things.

That's because you're not using them correctly...they're not for reading, they're for looking down your nose in disgust at someone and then taking them off dramatically for effect.

Ben Franklin tried to resolve the issue nearly three hundred years ago. The system he invented in the 1750s -- making spectacles with two types of lens in each lens so that you can, with practice, swtch between distance vision and close-up work like the small type in most reading matter of his day, is still in use today. That's what bifocals are. But bifocals take time and practice to use, and many never really master them.

My vision isn't bad, and I didn't need glasses until age 22 (first year of grad school, when I noticed I couldn't read the blackboard from the back of the room any more). Went to the optometrist and said, "I'm nearsighted in this eye and astigmatic in the other," knowing enough optics to be able to assess such things (albeit not quantitatively). Optometrist was quite surprised when it turned out I was right.