Aphorisms for a Superhero Universe

Clonus

I would not characterize heroes fighting heroes as lazy writing or desperation to drive up sales--I would say it's more of a tradition, going back to the Golden Age when the original Human Torch fought the Sub-Mariner in one of their earliest adventures.  Usually it's because one or the other heroes has been mind-controlled, or it's the result of a gargantuan misunderstanding--like in Avengers #2, when the newly formed team faces off against--The Space Phantom--

figure-32_space-phantom-reveals-his-plan

--whose shapeshifting abilities far exceed that of the Skrulls.  Taking the form of the Hulk, he attacked the other Avengers and caused all sorts of havoc, taking their forms as well, causing them to fight each other until he tried to take Thor's form, and was banished to Limbo himself--

45.jpg

One of the hero vs. hero stories that really made an impression on me was the DC Treasury issue Superman Vs. Wonder Woman--

1197409.jpg

Set in World War II, it has Wonder Woman determined to prevent the success of the Manhattan Project, and Superman determined to stop her.  For the first time I saw a story where the heroes actually had a reason to fight each other--no mind control, and no mistakes.  I did not see this again until Superman fought Batman in the last issue of Frank Miller's Dark Knight  mini-series.

It even happens in RPGs.  I remember in Aaron Allston's Strike Force book where the team splits into two over the issue of lethal force, with one team becoming the Shadow Warriors and another remaining as Strike Force.  Player vs. player conflict is always a possibility, even if your players aren't playing "murder hobos."

Hope that helps.

I would not characterize heroes fighting heroes as lazy writing or desperation to drive up sales--I would say it's more of a tradition, going back to the Golden Age when the original Human Torch fought the Sub-Mariner in one of their earliest adventures.

Yes, it is definitely a tradition thing by now. Or as LOSRH puts it, introductions:

http://superredundant.com/?comic=133-introductions

• 3 weeks later...

And works instantaneously, or else it Drains all Characteristics/Powers/Martial Arts for the 5-10 seconds it does take to work.

There is real life chloroform, and the chloroform used in Comic Books and Soap Operas (and Lifetime Movies).

The Spandex Dilemma*: the idea that, if you put on a spandex costume and call yourself a hero, your luck will guarantee

one of two things happening to you. You'll find yourself in a position where you'll either cause a crisis or prevent one.

*I got this from a story at Fanfiction.net called "A Third Path to the Future" written by vimesenthusiast.

Major Tom 2009 :eg: